• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Train Operator - Formal Qualifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailGeo

New Member
Joined
21 Oct 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Does anyone know what formal qualifications LU Operators receive at the end of their training? I understand TOC Mainline TD's are given a recognised Level 3 Train Driver Apprenticeship, but wondering if this extends to those in the LU. I checked the Skills England listing for the apprenticeship and they state LU is one of the contributors to the standard, so I'm assuming so, but just wanted to clarify.

Moreover, don't suppose anyone knows whether a former LU Train Operator can return after an extended gap of employment? I understand that Mainline TD's have their licenses suspended after 1 - 2 years of inactivity, but since LU dont actually require their operators to hold train licenses, does that then safeguard them from currency regulations? Of course, with the assumption that they'll need to undergo refresher training, but just curious if its similar to aviation, in that they're only required to demonstrate proficiency, or if it mirrors mainline and requires them to redo the training course.

Cheers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,288
Sorry for the late reply, you might have more traction from LU Train Operators if this thread is moved to the London Underground section of the forum.

I am an LU Train Op. As far as I know, there is no officially recognised qualification. As you rightly point out, we no longer even receive a paper licence - it's held electronically. Train Ops I know who have applied to national rail TOCs have nothing to transfer - it's a matter of completing the full training for the new role.

With regard to returning to a Train Op role after a long absence... Do you mean if they stay in the grade, but are on secondment for example? I was on secondment for a little over a year, and upon return, had 5 days with an Instructor Operator. I was then fully re-licenced and out on my own.

I'm not sure I know any Train Op that has left the company and reapplied - LU don't normally recruit direct to the Train Operator role, but they have done - so a returning employee would normally become a CSA and apply for Train Op in the usual way. In which case they would undoubtedly have full training.

Cross transfer (from another line) Train Ops get 8 weeks full time training with an Instructor Operator.

Not sure if this answers your questions, but hopefully some other T/Op will chip in if they have better knowledge.
 

RailGeo

New Member
Joined
21 Oct 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Sorry for the late reply, you might have more traction from LU Train Operators if this thread is moved to the London Underground section of the forum.

I am an LU Train Op. As far as I know, there is no officially recognised qualification. As you rightly point out, we no longer even receive a paper licence - it's held electronically. Train Ops I know who have applied to national rail TOCs have nothing to transfer - it's a matter of completing the full training for the new role.

With regard to returning to a Train Op role after a long absence... Do you mean if they stay in the grade, but are on secondment for example? I was on secondment for a little over a year, and upon return, had 5 days with an Instructor Operator. I was then fully re-licenced and out on my own.

I'm not sure I know any Train Op that has left the company and reapplied - LU don't normally recruit direct to the Train Operator role, but they have done - so a returning employee would normally become a CSA and apply for Train Op in the usual way. In which case they would undoubtedly have full training.

Cross transfer (from another line) Train Ops get 8 weeks full time training with an Instructor Operator.

Not sure if this answers your questions, but hopefully some other T/Op will chip in if they have better knowledge.
That was perfect. Thank you for the insight; much appreciated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top