• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loughborough to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanhoe

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2009
Messages
963
Hi folks ,it's my first post and would like some advice on travelling Loughborough to Liverpool , a trip that I make Quite regular at weekendss during the football season. I normally buy a saver because of the many line restictrions at weekends on the various routes that I can take. Other than trying to get an advance ticket from Nottingham occasionally, are there any cheaper options than the normal saver.

Secondly, why is the return from Loughborough cheaper than a return from either Leicester and Nottingham?

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
If you are travelling through Nuneaton, there is a London Midland only super-off peak return from Nuneaton to Liverpool at £13 (valid on any train at weekends).

The fares do seem a bit odd generally - Market Harborough is cheaper than from Leicester, as is Melton Mowbray.
 

ivanhoe

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2009
Messages
963
If you are travelling through Nuneaton, there is a London Midland only super-off peak return from Nuneaton to Liverpool at £13 (valid on any train at weekends).

The fares do seem a bit odd generally - Market Harborough is cheaper than from Leicester, as is Melton Mowbray.

Thanks for that. I presume a change at Stafford to catch the Birmingham Liverpool train is the route
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Secondly, why is the return from Loughborough cheaper than a return from either Leicester and Nottingham?
it isn't.

From Leicester it's £26.95, and from Loughborough it's £28.05. I guess it's priced assuming that you go via Nuneaton, hence Loughborough is more, however it's quite possible to get the Leicester ticket and go via Derby and cut your journey 'short' at Loughborough.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,803
Location
Central Belt
it isn't.

From Leicester it's £26.95, and from Loughborough it's £28.05. I guess it's priced assuming that you go via Nuneaton, hence Loughborough is more, however it's quite possible to get the Leicester ticket and go via Derby and cut your journey 'short' at Loughborough.

Rebooking from Nottingham will probably save you lots (it did in CT's days). AP's only used to be available from stations the trains called at and not other ones so buying a Loughborough - Nottingham single and Advanced purchase from Nottingham - Liverpool may be worth looking into.
 

ivanhoe

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2009
Messages
963
it isn't.

From Leicester it's £26.95, and from Loughborough it's £28.05. I guess it's priced asuming that you go via Nuneaton, hence Loughborough is more, however it's quite possible to get the Leicester ticket and go via Derby and cut your journey 'short' at Loughborough.

As a rookie on these matters , I am often sold a saver which is 41 pounds. What do I ask for then to get a ticket at the price you have quoted?Thanks

e
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
Correct. Or Birmingham. Or Crewe

Although Stafford is the only sensible place to change; to get to Birmingham you have to change at Coventry, and if you change at Crewe then you will probably miss the connection that you would have made at Stafford.

BTW, I think that they are prices with a railcard.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
Another alternative for Loughborough to Liverpool is the route I usually do from Nottingham which works out considerably cheaper than using EMT direct overcrowded service from Nottingham to Liverpool.

From Loughborough it's slightly more expensive than from Nottingham but still a good saving.
Loughborough - Derby £8.50
Derby - Crewe £8.60
Crewe - Liverpool £8.80
Total £25.90 All these fares are Off Peak Day Returns valid all day on Saturdays.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
Here's a set of tickets that lets you take EMT's direct Nottingham-Liverpool train:

Loughborough-Nottingham Anytime Day Return £7.00
Nottingham-Prestatyn Cheap Day Return £22.20 (valid after 0715)
Total £29.20

The Routeing Guide permits Nottingham-Prestatyn (routeing point Shotton) via Liverpool on maps CL+PS (Nottingham-Chesterfield-Sheffield-Chinley-Hazel Grove-Stockport-Manchester-Warrington-Hunts Cross-Liverpool-Hooton-Chester-Shotton). EMT's service follows this route to Liverpool, at which point you can end your journey early (no restrictions on the ticket)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
As a rookie on these matters , I am often sold a saver which is 41 pounds. What do I ask for then to get a ticket at the price you have quoted?Thanks

e
Sorry, I had been looking up the Poynton fare with a 16-25 railcard and forgot to clear it so I was quoting the railcard discounted fare! So, to get that fare, be over 60, or under 26, or a student, or with someone aged 0-15, or be "disabled" (includes loads of things like epilepsy). If you are a hard working 26-59 year old without any injuries/illnesses that qualify as "disabled" then I am afraid you have to be charged ludicrously high fares to use the UK rail system as the Government would rather you drove a car. But see krus_aragon's advice above.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
If you are a hard working 26-59 year old without any injuries/illnesses that qualify as "disabled"
Are you implying that 'hard working' and 'full-time student' are mutually exclusive?

;)
 

glynn80

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2008
Messages
1,666
Are you implying that 'hard working' and 'full-time student' are mutually exclusive?

;)

As to quote out friends over at ATOC, the words hard working and not hard working are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
Here's a set of tickets that lets you take EMT's direct Nottingham-Liverpool train:

Loughborough-Nottingham Anytime Day Return £7.00
Nottingham-Prestatyn Cheap Day Return £22.20 (valid after 0715)
Total £29.20

The Routeing Guide permits Nottingham-Prestatyn (routeing point Shotton) via Liverpool on maps CL+PS (Nottingham-Chesterfield-Sheffield-Chinley-Hazel Grove-Stockport-Manchester-Warrington-Hunts Cross-Liverpool-Hooton-Chester-Shotton). EMT's service follows this route to Liverpool, at which point you can end your journey early (no restrictions on the ticket)


Thanks for that information. I hadn't realised that Day Returns were even available from Nottingham to anywhere in that direction beyond Crewe and Chester. I see that they are available along the North Wales Coast as far as Penmwanmar. Very useful for some days out.

The fact that they are also valid via Manchester and Liverpool opens up a number of journey opportunities as I notice that the price to Prestatyn is below the price of many places beyond Manchester such as Warrington and Liverpool.
I use a similar situation to travel from Nottingham to destinations in West Yorkshire and lLancashire because a Day Return from Nottingham to Rochdale is only £18. This is valid via Manchester or Leeds and is much cheaper than returns to Bradford, Halifax etc. and even £1 cheaper than a Day Return to Leeds.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
Thanks for that information. I hadn't realised that Day Returns were even available from Nottingham to anywhere in that direction beyond Crewe and Chester. I see that they are available along the North Wales Coast as far as Penmwanmar. Very useful for some days out.

The fact that they are also valid via Manchester and Liverpool opens up a number of journey opportunities as I notice that the price to Prestatyn is below the price of many places beyond Manchester such as Warrington and Liverpool.
I use a similar situation to travel from Nottingham to destinations in West Yorkshire and lLancashire because a Day Return from Nottingham to Rochdale is only £18. This is valid via Manchester or Leeds and is much cheaper than returns to Bradford, Halifax etc. and even £1 cheaper than a Day Return to Leeds.

Even though a day return to Manchester is £4 cheaper than the Prestatyn one, you have to wait until 0900. The 0715 restriction on the Prestatyn ticket means you could get to Manchester before 1000.

Those cheap day returns can also be handy from this direction too, as Arriva don't sell CDRs to Manchester. EMT sell CDRs from Derby/Nottingham to any station between Prestatyn and Llanfairfechan. Derby ones are a few pounds cheaper but don't allow travel via Manchester. I haven't found any other places in the East Midlands that give these CDRs to North Wales (yet!)
 

ashworth

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2008
Messages
1,285
Location
Notts
I have to travel from Nottingham to Liverpool and back on Saturday 10th October but the splitting of tickets with Day Returns at Derby and Crewe limits me to a last departure from Liverpool at 1804. There is a later departure but because of engineering works leaves me with a 1 hour wait at Derby for bus to Nottingham.

I'm therefore planning on trying the Day Return to Prestatyn at only £22.20 but wonder if I am likely to encounter any problems with on train staff especially beyond Manchester who may try to challenge me saying it is not a valid route.
I have looked at buying the ticket in advance online but I notice the NXEC site will not sell me a Nottingham to Prestatyn ticket via Liverpool. However, interestingly the EMT (trainline) website will! I thought if I purchased it online I would get a seat reservation between Nottingham and Liverpool and a printout of my journey times and that should help in case of problems.

Does anyone forsee any problems?
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Get a seat reservation and use it, and then no-one can really stop you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top