I can see the error made when changing tickets. Sure, it's the OP's fault but a ticket seller wouldn't have made the same mistake (unless implicitly asked for a day return) and so it is down to a combination of the user and the machine.
The machines aren't great once you go beyond nice easy returns to London or Travelcards. Group save, railcard discounts and checking the restrictions (as I mentioned before, some descriptions have text missing or confusing).
I'm sure we've all seen times when using booking engines where the dates or times reset if you go back, sometimes even if you use the correct 'amend' option over the back button. You really need to be on your guard all the time, and that shouldn't really be necessary.
That's why I'd complain even if there was no demand for any sort of compensation, but rather to let the industry know it's time to bring TVMs into the smartphone world and learn from responsive user interfaces, which even two and three year olds can understand.
Edit: I should add that it's rather important to check your tickets before travel. It may have still been a PITA to sort out, but at worst it would have been a case of being the right ticket and claiming a refund later - avoiding any penalties at all.
The machines aren't great once you go beyond nice easy returns to London or Travelcards. Group save, railcard discounts and checking the restrictions (as I mentioned before, some descriptions have text missing or confusing).
I'm sure we've all seen times when using booking engines where the dates or times reset if you go back, sometimes even if you use the correct 'amend' option over the back button. You really need to be on your guard all the time, and that shouldn't really be necessary.
That's why I'd complain even if there was no demand for any sort of compensation, but rather to let the industry know it's time to bring TVMs into the smartphone world and learn from responsive user interfaces, which even two and three year olds can understand.
Edit: I should add that it's rather important to check your tickets before travel. It may have still been a PITA to sort out, but at worst it would have been a case of being the right ticket and claiming a refund later - avoiding any penalties at all.
Last edited: