• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Region headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senex

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2014
Messages
2,957
Location
York
Does anyone know when the BR London Midland Region moved its headquarters from Euston House to Birmingham? I think it was round about 1980, but I can't find any date.

And, connected, I have a vague memory that the regional Chief Civil Engineer's offices weren't in Euston House itself but in a building on the other side of the station. Is my memory misleading me, or if he did indeed reside in a separate building, did he moves bases to Birmingham at the same time?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,190
Location
Wilmslow
Does anyone know when the BR London Midland Region moved its headquarters from Euston House to Birmingham? I think it was round about 1980, but I can't find any date.

And, connected, I have a vague memory that the regional Chief Civil Engineer's offices weren't in Euston House itself but in a building on the other side of the station. Is my memory misleading me, or if he did indeed reside in a separate building, did he moves bases to Birmingham at the same time?

The HQ is listed as Euston House in the 1984 National Timetable and Stanier House in 1985. Stanier House was built in the '70s for the 'Field' reorganisation that never happened - and is now demolished!

There were also Melton House and Blandford House at Euston - IT (TOPS) was at Blandford House.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,691
Location
Hope Valley
Possibly completely irrelevant but there were certainly ‘civil engineers’ offices on the other side of Euston when I was working on the Midland Suburban Electrification project in early 1978. I had to go to some anonymous offices on Hampstead Road (I think) to look at some stuff in a photographic library.

Obviously the area has changed out of all recognition with HS2 works in recent years.

There were also some S&T offices (and British Transport Films) in Carlow Street, near Mornington Crescent. An amazing rabbit warren.
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,743
As well as the LM Regional HQ, Euston House also hosted the Euston Divisional Manager's Office. Sometime around 1983, as a pre-sectorisation rationalisation, the Euston Division was subsumed into the Birmingham Division, with the Euston staff moving out in 1984.

Euston House soldiered on as the LM Regional HQ for another year or two, before it was refurbished for use by some of the British Railway Board staff after it moved out of 222 Marylebone Road.
 

Senex

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2014
Messages
2,957
Location
York
A warm thank-you to all. "Melton House" and the offices on Hampstead Road I now recall, but "Blandford House" was a new one to me. If the photographic library was in the Hampstead Road offices, then that must surely be the one I was trying to recall, as I was there to consult some stuff in the CCE's library and I imagine that the collections of images and of documentation were likely to have been together.

I assume Melton House was 40 Melton Road, and didn't that later become the site of the British Rail (later Network Rail) HQ tower?
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,743
The HQ is listed as Euston House in the 1984 National Timetable and Stanier House in 1985. Stanier House was built in the '70s for the 'Field' reorganisation that never happened - and is now demolished!

There were also Melton House and Blandford House at Euston - IT (TOPS) was at Blandford House.
Blandford House was at Marylebone. Had to collect computer tapes and boxes of fanfold printout from it several times.

There was a Melton House at Watford Junction. Was there also one at Euston?
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,271
Melton Street ran beside Euston on its west side. Home to TSSA HQ for many years.

Melton House was/is on Clarendon Road, Watford. It has been converted into a Holiday Inn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top