• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Llandrindod Wells - A jilted destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squizzler

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
1,912
Location
Jersey, Channel Islands
Whilst it is the practical stopping point on the Heart of Wales line for excursion trains I am - as a local resident - aware that Llandrindod has not always best taken advantage of a relatively captive market for rail tours. Often visitors find it not so much 'Llandod as the land of nod! This is due to the quaint local custom of businesses knocking off in the mid Saturday afternoon which is usually when rail tours come round. I am pleased to say the community as a whole has recently developed more interest in putting a better reception for rail tours. Now it is possible to get live running updates on Realtime Trains many will have the confidence to remain open in the knowledge whether the train will arrive.

The attractions in Llandrindod are all listed on the new Llandrindod website. Rail tours are will usually be met at mellow LLO (that's our station code btw) by the town crier. In town there will be the world famous bicycle museum, our victorian architecture with lake and parks, and as a nice little extra Arvon Ales is current Wales' pub of the year.

Here is a thread for passengers on excursions, including the imminent (at time of writing) Pathfinder's Heart of Wales Wanderer to leave their impressions and feedback.

The Heart of Wales line is a superb rail tour venue as a whole. Heritage black-and-white signage has been placed at key structures and features (e.g. the summit) on the line and the gardens at stations such as Dolau look magnificent. This year is the 150th anniversary of the line's completion and events to commemerate this will be announced soon
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,039
I remember being on a railtour a decade or so ago, that stopped at Llandrindod on a Saturday afternoon. The passengers on our roughly 12-coach train rather swamped the shops near the station, and one (presumably local) customer was overheard asking the shop assistant, "where have they all come from?".

That tour had originated from Finsbury Park (North London) early that morning, and it was amusing to see that station's PIS showing "Llandrindod Wells" as a destination among all the (then WAGN) local trains.

I'd agree that the HoWL in general and Llandrindod in particular are good railtour destinations. UK Railtours are heading that way on 2nd September, but it's one of their Northern Belle Pullman trips so not cheap (other tour operators are available...)
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
I need to check my maps, but isn't there a siding where the tour train can disappear into, allowing the service trains to pass at Llandrindod, with the tour train reappearing after the 153s disappear into the distance?
 

squizzler

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
1,912
Location
Jersey, Channel Islands
I need to check my maps, but isn't there a siding where the tour train can disappear into, allowing the service trains to pass at Llandrindod, with the tour train reappearing after the 153s disappear into the distance?

There is indeed - it is also where the Royal Welsh Show specials hide between dropping off at Builth Road and picking up time in the evening.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
.......
I'd agree that the HoWL in general and Llandrindod in particular are good railtour destinations. UK Railtours are heading that way on 2nd September, but it's one of their Northern Belle Pullman trips so not cheap (other tour operators are available...)

They may be good destinations - when the trains finally reach them - but last Saturday a special to Llandod appeared to jigger up the timetable no end. I bet the locals were wishing the darned thing had stayed in the 'hide-away' siding.

I'm not sure how often specials do this, but if it happens more than once or twice a year, one has got to ask if the HoW is really equipped to take these extras, however much it brings in GBP to Llandod.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I stopped there when I was driving up from Cardiff a few months ago. It's a lovely little town and I can see why the rail tours stop there. Hopefully the local businesses will reap the benefits of opening up their town for the visitors, and I wish Llandrindod all the best :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top