• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Litter - how concerned are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Is it a problem where you live? If so, has it got worse over the last 5 years or so, and how much does it concern you?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Is it a problem where you live? If so, has it got worse over the last 5 years or so, and how much does it concern you?

Speaking about Falkirk it is not a problem from what I've seen.

In the three years I've lived here it hasn't noticeably changed.

If it got really bad I would be concerned about vermin infestation.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
I can't speak for the last 5 years in the area I currently live in as I have only lived here a year and a half.
However litter doesn't seem to be too much of an issue where I live. The council tend to keep fairly well on top of it, there are also litter bins placed strategically around the residential areas (e.g. 50 yds down the road from the shop.).
The biggest problem that I see in my locality is dog owners failing to clean up after thier pets. As a former dog owner myself I know its not the most pleasant duty to perform when out for a stroll with Rover, but come on! If it saves some poor soul stepping on his landmines then surely its 10 seconds well spent.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Its shocking at times round by me. Im sure some people do not know what a bin is and those I have seen littering are not the local scruffs either. Spent time down Victoria park over the summer and the amount of crap people would just leave by the benches or under a tree was amazing- no attempt to even place it near a bin if that bin was full. The canal wasnt much better either.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
Epsom has lots of broken glass on the ground during and after any weekend.

Other litter here is a lot less noticable unless it's been windy on bin collection day!
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Its shocking at times round by me. Im sure some people do not know what a bin is and those I have seen littering are not the local scruffs either. Spent time down Victoria park over the summer and the amount of crap people would just leave by the benches or under a tree was amazing- no attempt to even place it near a bin if that bin was full. The canal wasnt much better either.

Which part of the country are you in Clip?
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Do you get much street litter there?

Actually quite a lot at certain times of the day. Mainly round by me in the stow its because they dont empty the bins on the high street often enough and we also have the longest market in Europe which, whilst they do try and contain the rubbish created, does end up get blown around the neighbouring streets on a windy day
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Actually quite a lot at certain times of the day. Mainly round by me in the stow its because they dont empty the bins on the high street often enough and we also have the longest market in Europe which, whilst they do try and contain the rubbish created, does end up get blown around the neighbouring streets on a windy day

Do you witness many people dropping it?
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
You do see some people drop it and its not normally the young kids that would first come to mind. Some people do have good intentions like putting it behind a BT green box or on a lampost box or similar in the hope that a street sweeper will be along to pick it up but unless its jammed in then it just blows away.


I hope Im not painting London as some rubbish strewn mess like the 70s but some councils just dont seem to invest enough in cleaning of the streets, or remove lots of bins from busy pedestrian areas.

I remember being in Melbourne and being shocked when this little van came out of nowhere one night and done a quick wash of the top and sides of the bins - every night!!
 

michael769

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2005
Messages
2,008
The biggest problem out our way is litter being chucked from vehicles - works vans and repmobiles being the worst offenders.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Litter seems bad in every town up here.

I definitely think it's more of a Northern thing. Southern towns seem so much more litter free.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Perhaps it isn't a case of more litter being dropped, but less council staff employed to clean it up?
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,475
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
There are a goodly amount of horse chestnut trees that were planted on the farm that adjoins our land in the years following the 1939-45 war (so I am informed) and the autumn fall of the chestnuts in the narrow lane they border upon is the only thing I could vaguely refer to as "litter" in our rather rural location.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
The biggest problem out our way is litter being chucked from vehicles - works vans and repmobiles being the worst offenders.

Unfortunately we seem to be just far enough out of town for people who've been to the drive-through Mcdonalds to have finished their burger. And a substantial majority must just throw the containers through the window.

The council does have a little buggy pavement cleaner which is around more often than I would have expected.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Unfortunately we seem to be just far enough out of town for people who've been to the drive-through Mcdonalds to have finished their burger. And a substantial majority must just throw the containers through the window.

The council does have a little buggy pavement cleaner which is around more often than I would have expected.

We have weekly street cleans which I consider to be adequate.

How frequently do your streets get cleaned?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top