• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Linespeeds on Transpennine route etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukemc1980

New Member
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3
Hi,

My name is Luke I am new to this forum but I do like travelling by train I have a Disabled Person's railcard and a Merseytravel free travel pass so I have been reading these forums with interest. Anyway back to my question - what is the linespeed on the North Transpennine route between Manchester Piccadilly and Leeds? Are there any 90mph plus sections on this route? I know that the Class 185 trains can do 100mph so why isn't the majority of this route cleared for 100mph running - is it something to do with the curvature of the track or the existence of long tunnels (e.g. Stanedge tunnel) on this route and are thier any proposals to upgrade the line to 100mph running including the section between Liverpool and Manchester via Warrington? Also what is the maximum linespeed on the Merseyrail 3rd rail network I did here that it was 65mph in some places but there where plans to upgrade to 75mph between Hooton and Chester.

Luke
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,833
Between Leeds and Piccadilly one of the few bits I could see being capable of something like 100mph is between Ardwick and Guide Bridge, but with the locals there isn't much point unless it was returned to 4 track. The rest is mostly too curvy. Tunnels don't pose a problem in their own right except when they themselves are curved or in some cases have tight clearances. Over the Pennines the 185s use their power and acceleration on the hills rather than top speed.

Of course, away from Leeds - Manchester the 185s have lots of 100mph or above lines to use their top speed on.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
I took the "slow" train from Victoria to Huddersfield yesterday and in spite of the many stops it didn't seem to be appreciably slower than TPE, probably because of the tortuous section between Guide Bridge and Stalybridge as well as the notoriously crowded Piccadilly Approach.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top