Halifaxlad
Established Member
This new thread in 'Infrastructure & Stations' concerning this 'Network North'
(A ground has an idea for a "Rail North" scheme to rival the "Northern Powerhouse" rail plan)
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ern-powerhouse-rail-plan.212078/#post-4897243) got me thinking more about how Leeds & Sheffield could be connected by a brand new line (mostly) so here's an idea of an alternative that I've been refining, based on an actual map I might add!

Yellow: Existing
Red: New
Blue: Reinstated
Basically it heads East out of Leeds (I would four track that) before tunneling under Halton opposite from Nevillie Hill depot, coming out adjacent to the M1 before running adjacent to the A1, then past Knottingley before rejoining the existing network at Womersley and carrying on to where it meets the ECML at Thorpe Marsh to Doncaster. From Doncaster, it would use the Shireoaks line to cross over before proceeding on a new route adjacent to the M18, M1 before rejoining the existing network at Catcliffe and heading into the existing Sheffield Midland station.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1UIpYQrzITVHwU8EnaBHNUKRx2IJt_r8t&usp=sharing
Admittedly the tunnel under Halton would be expensive but it could also be used for services to Newcastle via York & Hull via Selby.
(A ground has an idea for a "Rail North" scheme to rival the "Northern Powerhouse" rail plan)
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ern-powerhouse-rail-plan.212078/#post-4897243) got me thinking more about how Leeds & Sheffield could be connected by a brand new line (mostly) so here's an idea of an alternative that I've been refining, based on an actual map I might add!

Yellow: Existing
Red: New
Blue: Reinstated
Basically it heads East out of Leeds (I would four track that) before tunneling under Halton opposite from Nevillie Hill depot, coming out adjacent to the M1 before running adjacent to the A1, then past Knottingley before rejoining the existing network at Womersley and carrying on to where it meets the ECML at Thorpe Marsh to Doncaster. From Doncaster, it would use the Shireoaks line to cross over before proceeding on a new route adjacent to the M18, M1 before rejoining the existing network at Catcliffe and heading into the existing Sheffield Midland station.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1UIpYQrzITVHwU8EnaBHNUKRx2IJt_r8t&usp=sharing
Admittedly the tunnel under Halton would be expensive but it could also be used for services to Newcastle via York & Hull via Selby.