• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Late payment of fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgz

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Ipswich
Good day,
I got caught without a railcard in august 2024 and they collected my details and told me to wait for a letter. After some days I had to move for some personal reasons. I kept in contact with my previous housemates and told them to watch out for any letter for me but they didn’t get back to me. I kept reaching out to them and one of my housemates got back to me and took a picture of two letters from the train company (northern railway) from September and October 2024. The first letter was the initial contact letter and the second was a fixed penalty notice stating I need to pay £118.40. I just knew about these letters today(feb 2025) and I promptly paid them but the letter stated that I needed to pay them within 14 days. Please what is going to happen now that I paid late. I’m trying to avoid a criminal conviction. Do I call or email them to explain the reason for the late payment?
 

Attachments

  • 8ce38606-0f9b-4eca-94d2-b1d1a1466833.jpeg
    8ce38606-0f9b-4eca-94d2-b1d1a1466833.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 65
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
Do I call or email them to explain the reason for the late payment?
Yes, as a matter or urgency. It is possible that you have already been prosecuted or papers have been laid at the court.
 

chgz

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Ipswich
Yes, as a matter or urgency. It is possible that you have already been prosecuted or papers have been laid at the court.
Will I need to pay an out of court settlement after paying the fine today. I am willing to pay anything needed I just need to know what to expect.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
Will I need to pay an out of court settlement after paying the fine today. I am willing to pay anything needed I just need to know what to expect.
What you have paid is an out of court settlement but paying it so late means that Northern are at liberty to say it was a limited-time offer and refuse it. Depending on what has happened in the meantime they may ask for more to reflect their increased costs, or they could just return it if the case has gone to court.
 

chgz

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Ipswich
What you have paid is an out of court settlement but paying it so late means that Northern are at liberty to say it was a limited-time offer and refuse it. Depending on what has happened in the meantime they may ask for more to reflect their increased costs, or they could just return it if the case has gone to court.
If the case has/goes to court is there still an option to settle out of court with them or is my fate sealed?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,830
If the case has/goes to court is there still an option to settle out of court with them or is my fate sealed?
No, a case can be settled at any time prior to conviction.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,338
If the case has/goes to court is there still an option to settle out of court with them or is my fate sealed?
Make sure in your contact with them you give a clear up to date correct postal address where you can be contacted over at least the next six months as well as your e mail address.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Normally when a train comoany decides to prosecute you're no longer able to pay the fixed penalty notice. The fact that you were able to pay it, although late, probably means that Northern haven't got round to prosecuting yet.

To be on the safe side I would email Northern, apologising for the lateness in paying the penalty and ask them to confirm that the case is now closed.
 

chgz

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2025
Messages
11
Location
Ipswich
Make sure in your contact with them you give a clear up to date correct postal address where you can be contacted over at least the next six months as well as your e mail address.
Will do thanks.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Normally when a train comoany decides to prosecute you're no longer able to pay the fixed penalty notice. The fact that you were able to pay it, although late, probably means that Northern haven't got round to prosecuting yet.

To be on the safe side I would email Northern, apologising for the lateness in paying the penalty and ask them to confirm that the case is now closed.
Thank you for this glimpse of hope, I’ll contact them ASAP
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
If it transpires that you have been convicted in your absence then you can fill out a statutory declaration
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,338
If it transpires that you have been convicted in your absence then you can fill out a statutory declaration
Indeed. But the OP would be well advised to check here on best way of going about that (while being mindful there is a short time period in which to do it but advice here would usually be prompt in terms of how best to do this).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top