• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Late 80's AC EMU stock cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
I wonder whether anyone can point me towards a reliable source of information on the AC EMU stock cascade that occurred between 1985 & 1995?

For example, I've seen photos of Cl310s at Southend Vic. I had always assumed these went straight from the Euston line to LTS. Did all 42 317/1s go to WA when the 321/4s were introduced? Did 302s run on the WA line during this period. Did LTS and GE share their 312 allocations or were the two batches kept apart? I also can't find any last running dates for 305/308/317s on the LTS.

Can anyone help, there are severe gaps in my knowledge.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
317s were sub-leased to LTS between 1999 and 2000 I think, most returned to WAGN at that point, however four units were still required by LTS until 2002. Some of the returned units were sub-leased to Thameslink for extra 'peak time' services out of Moorgate.
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
There were 48 317/1s in all, and I believe that yes they did go straight to WA (and GN), displacing the last of the 305s. 302s may have worked on the Southern part of WA, but certainly not North of Bishops Stortford (the end of the wires until 1987). The Wikipedia page on 317s tells some of this story in good detail.
312s were still working on the Great Northern in 1988 (my first ever trip to London was on one from Huntingdon in that year).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top