• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancaster - Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to split this ticket and get a decent fare? I don't mind Standard or First Class. I would choose First Class over Standard if it was good enough money.

I really want to avoid the EMT Liverpool Lime Street - Norwich service though. I hate that train.

Depart Lancaster - Anytime on Friday August 6th
Return Peterorough - Evening on Sunday August 8th.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to split this ticket and get a decent fare? I don't mind Standard or First Class. I would choose First Class over Standard if it was good enough money.

I really want to avoid the EMT Liverpool Lime Street - Norwich service though. I hate that train.

Depart Lancaster - Anytime on Friday August 6th
Return Peterorough - Evening on Sunday August 8th.

Thanks

any railcards??
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Nope, unfortunately I don't qualify for any lol.


OK. I will have a scan now for you. which route would you like to take. i take it not the Liverpool to Norwich, how about from Lancaster to Birmingham, then to Peterborough, or Lancaster to Manchester, to Leeds, then down to Peterborough, or Lancaster to London, and then to Peterborough..
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2009
Messages
364
Location
Melbourne, Australia
If you can travel out from Lancaster on thursday evening, you can do this trip for 22.30 return. Travelling on friday ain't gonna be cheap.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
If you can travel out from Lancaster on thursday evening, you can do this trip for 22.30 return. Travelling on friday ain't gonna be cheap.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

how did you get that??
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
If you can travel out from Lancaster on thursday evening, you can do this trip for 22.30 return. Travelling on friday ain't gonna be cheap.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Wow. I'll see if I can find something similar!
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2009
Messages
364
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, they are 2x advance singles.

Dep Lancaster 17:48
via Manchester & Doncaster
Arr Peterborough 22:14

Coming back

Dep Peterborough 22:45
via York, Manchester & Preston
Arr Lancaster 05:42

The longest connection is only 59 mins at York so not too bad.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
ok here goes.

Lancaster to Peterborough Off Peak Rt £66.10, valid routes are Birmingham, Manchester, Skipton, Sheffield

Lancaster to Peterborough Advance on the 1049 arr 1442 on the 6th via leeds. £20.05 (exclusive web fare east coast website)
Peterborough to Lancaster Advance on the 1615 arr 2015 on the 8th via doncaster, and manchester £29.50

Total Cost £49.55

Lancaster to Birmingham Std Advance on the 0957 on 6th arr 1156 £19.50
Birmingham to Peterborough Std Advance on the 1222 on 6th arr 1416 £7.00

Peterborough to Birmingham Std Advance on the 1652 on the 8th arr 1837 £6.50
Birmingham to Lancaster Std Advance on the 1920 on the 8th arr 2110 £12.00

Total Cost £45.00

checked on east coast website at 20:00 08.07.2010
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, they are 2x advance singles.

Dep Lancaster 17:48
via Manchester & Doncaster
Arr Peterborough 22:14

Coming back

Dep Peterborough 22:45
via York, Manchester & Preston
Arr Lancaster 05:42

The longest connection is only 59 mins at York so not too bad.

found them.. good spot. you must of got there b4 me. we will see if he wants to get back monday morning. :)
 
Last edited:

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
I might go for the super dooper cheap option if I can get the Monday off work, i'll have to check!

If I can't, £45 doesn't sound too unreasonable!

Thanks for your help Gents.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I might go for the super dooper cheap option if I can get the Monday off work, i'll have to check!

If I can't, £45 doesn't sound too unreasonable!

Thanks for your help Gents.

im still looking for you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
another one..

Lancaster to Sheffield Std Advance Single on the 6th on the 1748 arr 2008 via manchester. £9.50
Sheffield to Peterborough Std Advance Single on the 2115 on the 6th arr 2258 via doncaster £5.80 (exclusive web fare)

Peterborough to Sheffield on the 8th on the 1555 arr 1754 via Doncaster £11.15 (exclusive web fare)
Sheffield to Lancaster on the 8th on the 1811 arr 2015 via manchester £9.50

total cost £35.95 and avoiding EMT!
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
Looks like i've dropped a clanger here. I've almost double booked myself.

I'm at a wedding up here that weekend. Doh!

Thanks for your efforts though :D
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
Just thought i'd bump this again as i'm going to Peterborough on Saturday and returning Sunday evening.

I'm going to travel Virgin 1st from Lancaster to Birmingham New Street and the same coming back.

Is it worthwhile booking 1st Class for the XC leg between Birmingham New Street and Peterborough. I always try book 1st if possible, especially if it's a busy service. It's an £8 fare increase in each direction.

What are the benefits? Do you get free Wifi and a power socket like you do on the Virgin services?

Thanks
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Just thought i'd bump this again as i'm going to Peterborough on Saturday and returning Sunday evening.

I'm going to travel Virgin 1st from Lancaster to Birmingham New Street and the same coming back.

Is it worthwhile booking 1st Class for the XC leg between Birmingham New Street and Peterborough. I always try book 1st if possible, especially if it's a busy service. It's an £8 fare increase in each direction.

What are the benefits? Do you get free Wifi and a power socket like you do on the Virgin services?

Thanks



you only get power sockets on xc no free wifi, and no free food
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
The seats aren't that much different on XC as well....
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
I was on the 1652 Peterborough - Birmingham New Street service today.

All I can say is, i'm glad I paid the extra to sit in first class, just so I didn't have to stand up for 2 hours!!

Couldn't believe it was only a 2 car 170 on such a busy service, that seemed to get even busier when we got to Leicester!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,467
2/3-car 170s are the norm on this route. In actual fact over the last few years I have not seen anything else. Must have been the busiest route I have ever travelled. When you know that Saturday early morning trains involve a mad scramble for seats then you know there is trouble. For the fare they charge tbh I really think that they should do better.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Couldn't believe it was only a 2 car 170 on such a busy service, that seemed to get even busier when we got to Leicester!

I now consciously avoid rush hour journeys between New Street and Leicester as it is virtually impossible to find a seat in most situations. Instead I find it very soothing to be sitting in a café, chillax and then catch anything after 1830.
 

S19

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2010
Messages
275
2/3-car 170s are the norm on this route. In actual fact over the last few years I have not seen anything else. Must have been the busiest route I have ever travelled. When you know that Saturday early morning trains involve a mad scramble for seats then you know there is trouble. For the fare they charge tbh I really think that they should do better.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I now consciously avoid rush hour journeys between New Street and Leicester as it is virtually impossible to find a seat in most situations. Instead I find it very soothing to be sitting in a café, chillax and then catch anything after 1830.

Unfortunately it was the only train I could catch to be back for 9 in Lancaster last night.

I've learned a valuable lesson though haha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top