• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junction Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skidderwolf

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2022
Messages
26
Location
Midlands
Quite new the the railways and I find it difficult to pinpoint junctions. For example I am looking for Sheet shores Junction location but I cannot find a map that pinpoints its location. Have googled for it but nothing comes up. Is there a guide I should be looking for?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
Quite new the the railways and I find it difficult to pinpoint junctions. For example I am looking for Sheet shores Junction location but I cannot find a map that pinpoints its location. Have googled for it but nothing comes up. Is there a guide I should be looking for?
Try this site
https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/spc4#T_SHEETSJ
Obviously that isn't geographically accurate, but it will show you roughly where to look on a conventional map.
(AIUI not every location is mapped - for others you will have to get get hold of a paper rail atlas such as the Baker/Brown Rail Atlas.)
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
Quite new the the railways and I find it difficult to pinpoint junctions. For example I am looking for Sheet shores Junction location but I cannot find a map that pinpoints its location. Have googled for it but nothing comes up. Is there a guide I should be looking for?
rail atlas of great Britain and Ireland. by SK Baker. excellent index.
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,023
Location
Yellabelly Country
Sheet Stores Junction is in Long Eaton. It is where the Chellaston branch joins the Midland Main Line (Derby - Leicester), seen here bottom right on the map. The junction also links to Trent South and Trent East Junctions.

1663524463817.png

Picture: Google Maps aerial view.
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,023
Location
Yellabelly Country
Just on the subject of junction locations. Names may not always reflect the location, which is a reason the OP was having difficulty in googling the name.
 

BrianW

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2017
Messages
2,134
Quite new the the railways and I find it difficult to pinpoint junctions. For example I am looking for Sheet shores Junction location but I cannot find a map that pinpoints its location. Have googled for it but nothing comes up. Is there a guide I should be looking for?
I think I see what happened there- it's Sheet Stores Junction (not Sheet Shores). I Googled on this- sheet stores rail junction and found loads, including for instance this document which 'tells' quite a lot about that whole area: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Trent-Junctions-Study-2019.pdf

The rail atlases that others reference are really good- you'll find lots to draw you in, and fill you in. I hope you'll find such will draw you out too to visit such locations.

I recommend the National Library of Scotland Maps where a search on Sheet stores will take you to old and modern maps of the area; you can zoom in.

Google on <real time trains> and input location <sheet stores jn> will take you to times of trains passing there.

Googling on <traksy> and searching on location <+ sheet stores> takes you here to see track layouts and train movements:

Welcome to the Forum- lots of helpful folk on hand.
 

===gricer===

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2021
Messages
46
Location
Devon
Open source digital railway map needed in wikirail perhaps ? The hard copy railway atlases are pricey !
 

htafc

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
365
Location
West Yorkshire
The hard copy railway atlases are pricey !
That is sadly the case. The Baker atlas is more reasonable than the Track Atlas, but you pay for quality/detail I suppose (at least, I hope...). Other atlases are available (at risk of sounding like the BBC), including regional titles, e.g. Birmingham and West Midlands.

How about this? ;)
I like this one, good for historic lines. I remember finding another more detailed site, but can't remember the address. A quick search for 'open source rail maps' brings up a few different options that may be suitable.
 

Skidderwolf

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2022
Messages
26
Location
Midlands
rail atlas of great Britain and Ireland. by SK Baker. excellent index.

I think I see what happened there- it's Sheet Stores Junction (not Sheet Shores). I Googled on this- sheet stores rail junction and found loads, including for instance this document which 'tells' quite a lot about that whole area: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Trent-Junctions-Study-2019.pdf

The rail atlases that others reference are really good- you'll find lots to draw you in, and fill you in. I hope you'll find such will draw you out too to visit such locations.

I recommend the National Library of Scotland Maps where a search on Sheet stores will take you to old and modern maps of the area; you can zoom in.

Google on <real time trains> and input location <sheet stores jn> will take you to times of trains passing there.

Googling on <traksy> and searching on location <+ sheet stores> takes you here to see track layouts and train movements:

Welcome to the Forum- lots of helpful folk on hand.
Thank Brian for correcting the location and the additional info. I do hope the atlas that I intend to purchase will do exactly that, get me out to these interesting locations.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I personally prefer the bulkier Track Atlas of Mainland Britain, nicknamed the 'Quail', but both would be suitable @Skidderwolf.
Thanks htafc, will look into the 'Quail'
 

BrianW

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2017
Messages
2,134
This is great, thanks - plenty to get my head around
More for your head, maybe ;)
I found myself drawn in by drone shots of the late Queen's funeral cortege on its route from the Wellington Arch to Windsor. On the A4 West Cromwell Road in the vicinity of Earls Court just before West Kensington District Line station it passes over a web of rail lines. This piece- https://anonw.com/2019/03/24/where-has-lillie-bridge-depot-gone/- and Google maps help make some sense of this complex of junctions- whatever they're called!
You're heading down a track (so to speak) where to mix metaphors you might get hooked!
A long way physically from Sheet Stores Jct but not without similarities.
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,138
Location
Derby
The simple answer to the Sheet Stores question lies back in the days of the Midland Railway who had a works there which produced tarpaulins for use on wagons that carried loads which required sheeting over.
The junction took it's name from the works which was almost opposite.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top