• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Joining a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelycartoon

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2025
Messages
5
Location
Midlands
Hi - long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve been doing some research on the Market Harborough (MHR) > St Pancras (STP) fares, and have seen that it’s financially beneficial for me to travel MHR>Kettering (KET), then get off that service and board the stopping service into STP. However, for some reason, it only works out cheaper if I purchase Corby (COR)>STP.

Could I do the following?

Buy anytime day return from MHR>KET aswell as COR>STP, but not board at COR and join at KET?

Technically I would have a valid ticket for all elements of my journey, but would I encounter any issues by doing this?

TIA.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vexed

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2020
Messages
680
Location
Herts / Hants
Yes that's valid. Break of journey is allowed for anytime tickets, so you can "throw away" the Corby to Kettering (KET) validity and start short/finish short at KET.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from though, anytime returns to St Pancras are £4 (£133) more from Corby than Kettering (£129)?

But anyway if you're boarding a Connect service at KET you can split at Bedford (BDM), which is £23.30 KET - BDM plus £84.80 BDM - STP for a total of £108.10.

Edit to clarify break of journey is allowed for anytime tickets. See below for clarification on advances which weren't mentioned in your opening message.
 
Last edited:

lonelycartoon

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2025
Messages
5
Location
Midlands
Yes that's valid. Break of journey is allowed for these tickets, so you can "throw away" the Corby to Kettering (KET) validity and start short/finish short at KET.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from though, anytime returns to St Pancras are £4 (£133) more from Corby than Kettering (£129)?
But anyway if you're boarding a Connect service at KET you can split at Bedford (BDM), which is £23.30 KET - BDM plus £84.80 BDM - STP for a total of £108.10.
Thanks very much, that’s really useful insights and great to know. I’ve been looking at advanced singles via the Trainline, and weirdly in some instances it works out cheaper to travel as outlined above - especially at short notice.
 

bcarmicle

Member
Joined
11 May 2018
Messages
410
Advance tickets are not valid for break of journey, so if it's only cheaper on an Advance, you cannot start/stop short and must travel as booked.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Thanks very much, that’s really useful insights and great to know. I’ve been looking at advanced singles via the Trainline, and weirdly in some instances it works out cheaper to travel as outlined above - especially at short notice.
The rule is that these types of tickets do not permit breaks of journey.

If you try it, while technically there's a chance you'd get away with it simply because nobody would notice, from the perspective of the ticket conditions, you need to travel between the stations nominated. It may be the case that you can't easily get in/out of ticket gates at an intermediate station, depending on if there's a check at a gateline or manually.

You can do this with Anytime and Off Peak tickets, unless specially advised otherwise at the time of purchase.
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,739
Location
Slade Green
Industry guidance is that no action should be taken on this unless the passenger is starting or finishing short in order to save money. Which you would be.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Hi - long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve been doing some research on the Market Harborough (MHR) > St Pancras (STP) fares, and have seen that it’s financially beneficial for me to travel MHR>Kettering (KET), then get off that service and board the stopping service into STP. However, for some reason, it only works out cheaper if I purchase Corby (COR)>STP.

Could I do the following?

Buy anytime day return from MHR>KET aswell as COR>STP, but not board at COR and join at KET?

Technically I would have a valid ticket for all elements of my journey, but would I encounter any issues by doing this?
You mentioned the ticket type of the first ticket, but not the second ticket.

I advise against starting short on an Advance ticket, as this isn't permitted.

If it's cheaper to use a valid combination of tickets, not including starting short, then you don't need to do your own research as our ticketing website will sort that out for you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top