Because they are militant! Obviously it only works one way. One girl wanted overtime as she was over her flexitime.....by half an hour, over a whole month! She looked a bit put out when I asked if she could guarantee she hadnt spent at least that looking at wedding dresses online On company time.....One needs to consider why they're being militant about it.
That is a fair point but it’s just custom, and I have no idea how you would write a meaningful contract to cover reality.If an employer has no intention of sticking to the working week stated in the contract, then why does the contract state a working week?
I love the idea that we should all work less but I just don’t know how to make it happen, whether it’s fair to stop people who want to get on working hard for it, how you stop it damaging companies or having unexpected results (less hours and money for the perms and more contractors for example), and how you do it and stop the jobs just getting exported to cheaper places.