• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is The Rail Sale Such A Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
Is it really a ‘sale’ or just a national promotion of the bottom tiers of advances, which may have been available anyway, subject to usual yield management algorithms?
It is a genuine sale. £1.10 for me to get to Leeds is half the price of the cheapest Advance normally available.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
215
Location
Durham
Well personally I've booked 3 (bargain) trips that I wouldn't have done otherwise were it not for the Rail Sale fares I got...

Durham - Newcastle - Middlesbrough (via Sunderland) - Whitby - Darlington - Durham for £8.95

Durham - Blackpool via Edinburgh for £15.40
Blackpool - Durham via Leeds for £9.60

Durham - Wemyss Bay - Durham for £13.85

These are non railcard fares and include 2 qualifying journeys for Club Avanti purposes.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,707
Location
Derby
Well personally I've booked 3 (bargain) trips that I wouldn't have done otherwise were it not for the Rail Sale fares I got...

Durham - Newcastle - Middlesbrough (via Sunderland) - Whitby - Darlington - Durham for £8.95

Durham - Blackpool via Edinburgh for £15.40
Blackpool - Durham via Leeds for £9.60

Durham - Wemyss Bay - Durham for £13.85

These are non railcard fares and include 2 qualifying journeys for Club Avanti purposes.
Certainly a bargain fare .
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Durham - Blackpool via Edinburgh for £15.40
Blackpool - Durham via Leeds for £9.60
Now, that seems well cheap. What days / time of the day are you travelling? Do you have to overnight somewhere in Blackpool?
 

Amaranthe

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
215
Location
Durham
Now, that seems well cheap. What days / time of the day are you travelling? Do you have to overnight somewhere in Blackpool?
Feb 3rd

1N51 0641 Durham - Newcastle 07:00 Northern £1.20
9S07 07:18 Newcastle - Edinburgh 09:01 TPE £4.20
9M54 10:52 Edinburgh - Preston 13:15 Avanti
1N64 13:27 Preston - Blackpool North 13:50 Northern £10.00

Feb 4th

1B28 12:19 Blackpool North - Leeds 14:27 Northern £4.30
9E18 19:52 Leeds - Durham 21:07 TPE £5.30

B&B overnight in Blackpool for £20

I have to admit this worries me a bit though...

Screenshot 2026-01-12 at 13.12.24.png
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
So noted, and a rather long five hour plus wait in Leeds on the way back. Similar in York, instead, would have been good, though!
 

CMS1

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2025
Messages
245
Location
uk
Do any ticket websites allow you to filter to railsale tickets only instead of trawling through days and times?
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Am I right in recalling, possibly from one of your previous posts, that the period between New Year and Easter is usually the quietest time of the year for rail travel?

If so, then, from an economic perspective, now is the best time of the year for a promotion such as this.
Answering again, a bit more seriously.

The quietest time of year, but a distance, is December, albeit mostly because of the final 10 days. Then January, then Feb, then April (because of Easter hols).
 

Topmandog1

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2026
Messages
41
Location
England
I got a Blackpool to London Return Ticket for £25.60 (with railcard also) so for me i love the rail sale and i got delayed in and out of London so i got half of it back in delay repay anyway
Screenshot 2026-04-18 152646.png
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,280
It's a quiet time of year for leisure travel, and encourages people to take extra journeys.

And if by the time my February or March journey comes around, and the weather is atrocious or something comes up, well then I just will write off the small cost of the ticket. So the railway gets free money.
This year for example I had a trip to the Kent coast, which I didn't take due to being under the weather, while 2 years ago, I didn't use tickets due to a family medical issue which came up.
 

The Foghorn

On Moderation
Joined
3 Dec 2024
Messages
63
Location
Spalding
I didn't post at the time so as not to flag up that the house was empty. £9.30 Peterborough to Stansted Airport for two people! Cheaper than our Two Together discounted Spalding to Peterborough singles. What's not to like. No advance fare available for a through ticket btw.

With LNER not doing generally return fares, a few discounted 91 trips were booked too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top