• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is TfW the last TOC to use single car units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,649
Location
Greater Manchester
A few weeks back I thought I saw a 153 coupled up to a non cab part of another sprinter(?). It was dark and it went past quick but the sight of it jarred. Any ideas what I might have seen and how it came about.
I'm not aware of such a thing currently existing but it has existed in the past (image attached of a solo car from a 150/2 + 1 153, image from Feb 2012 found on the internet)
2306702_orig.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Related but why are they retaining 153s on the HOW line? After a one in a generation fleet replacemement this seems like a massive missed opportunity to modernise a line which won't get any attention for years. I'm surprised (and would be upset if I was a rural Welsh traveller) that they aren't being replaced.
I commute on them to the Bay several times a week and they're becoming really unpleasant, especially the /9s (though I know the retained ones will be /3s). I'd feel gutted if I were living on the HoW that TfW have chosen to retain them rather than order a few more 197s, similarly to how I'd feel gutted that 230s were ordered instead of more 197s if I lived on the Borderlands.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

A few weeks back I thought I saw a 153 coupled up to a non cab part of another sprinter(?). It was dark and it went past quick but the sight of it jarred. Any ideas what I might have seen and how it came about.
Will have been a 153 with another 153 or a 150, realistically. It was dark and the train moving quickly, after all. There are no odd hybrids with TfW, unless you count the 67+MK4 sets ;)
 

twpsaesneg

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2009
Messages
480
You can see Rhiwbina from the other end of the platform. They are all very close together.
Off topic, sorry - Because Coryton platform is the opposite side of the old alignment, you can see all the way to it from Birchgrove. Before they had any information screens looking up the branch to look for a headlight used to be the only way you could tell if your train was running anywhere near time!
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,036
It's cost related and the fact they're losing the 170s originally designated to take over.

I recall reading about doubling up 153s (using the ones without toilets) in the same way as Scotrail plan on using them for cycles but may be wrong?
I think that's still the plan - the ones without PRM toilets will be modified to accommodate bikes etc. similarly to the Scottish ones. They will presumably be used mainly on daytime trains rather than the early morning and late evening part-route services.
 
Joined
27 Sep 2018
Messages
173
ScotRail have an agreement with ASLEF that prevents single-car 153 operation, don't they?

Additionally, if you counted LSL as a TOC (which they technically are), they operate a bubble car.
They can and do run as single 1 car units but as already mentioned only on shunts and ECS from Glasgow queen street, one example is this

 

L401CJF

Established Member
Joined
16 Oct 2019
Messages
1,486
Location
Wirral
Can't confirm whether it's correct but showing as 153329 working solo tonight on 1W80 2155 Cardiff Central to Crewe!
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
I think that's still the plan - the ones without PRM toilets will be modified to accommodate bikes etc. similarly to the Scottish ones. They will presumably be used mainly on daytime trains rather than the early morning and late evening part-route services.
The ones being converted aren't in the current fleet, they're ex-Northern sets currently being prepared at Landore.
They'll be semi permanent pairs (big cab-little cab coupled) so they'll be on pretty much all services that are 153 operated.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Can't confirm whether it's correct but showing as 153329 working solo tonight on 1W80 2155 Cardiff Central to Crewe!
It's showing as booked a 1 car tonight. Not as random as it used to be but that working can be anything from 1 to about 8 coaches depending what's needed to move north.
 

MP393

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2021
Messages
660
Location
North West
Can't confirm whether it's correct but showing as 153329 working solo tonight on 1W80 2155 Cardiff Central to Crewe!

It’s quite often a 1 car, and is a pleasure to work during the week when it is. Very quiet Monday-Thurs evenings when there’s no events on :D

Seems to be Shrewsbury nowadays where it picks up random other members of the fleet. Glorified stock move in service!
 

Bob Price

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
1,243
Seems to be Shrewsbury nowadays where it picks up random other members of the fleet. Glorified stock move in service!
I remember getting a late Cardiff to Crewe 33 hauled service in the 80's that had about 14 coaches of all varieties on it. Guard made sure everyone was in a coach that had a platform, I was in a back one and stayed put but saw a lot of outsides of stations. Weirdest stock move I ever saw.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,224
Location
West Wiltshire
Just posted in the TfW 15x and 175x withdrawal thread that TfW has just issued a tender for C4 and C6 overhauls of 153s through to 20 November 2029 (6 years time) which rather suggests they are not leaving soon

Class 153 C4 and C6 Exams
  • Source: Find a Tender
  • Published: Tue 21 Nov 2023
  • Deadline: Fri 22 Dec 2023
The focus of the project described within this Request for Proposal (the RfP) concerns the heave maintenance coded repairs C4 and C6 for Class 153s rolling stock that operate on the Heart of Wales Line between Swansea and Shrewsbury via various market towns and villages.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top