• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Cross Country usually this poor for first class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabanda

Member
Joined
25 May 2025
Messages
157
Location
Bournemouth
On a recent Cross Country trip from Bristol to York, we were offered hot drinks not long after boarding. Since we had a long journey we asked if there was any food and were then offered quite a selection including bacon roll and sandwiches. No one in our coach was offered food so had we not asked then perhaps we would have missed out! First class on Cross Country is so inconsistent.
On a recent trip from Oxford to Bournemouth I went and sought out the (admittedly lovely) host, who was more than happy to provide me with a cup of tea - she didn’t offer refreshments to anybody else until we left Winchester, so several passengers are likely to have missed out!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,279
I’ve had RSMs provide the full range in first on a couple of occasions - and have similarly been directed to collect hot drinks and sandwiches from the shop on ex-Avanti units, where the TM generally seems to have a limited range of snacks and soft drinks for those unwilling to make the journey.
I know it sounds silly, but are TM's allowed to offer the full range of catering to First Class pax? I was under the impression they're not insured to offer the hot items but could be making that up!
 

sabanda

Member
Joined
25 May 2025
Messages
157
Location
Bournemouth
I know it sounds silly, but are TM's allowed to offer the full range of catering to First Class pax? I was under the impression they're not insured to offer the hot items but could be making that up!
I don't believe they are - though I've had many, many instances where they've done so regardless!
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,896
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
I don't believe they are - though I've had many, many instances where they've done so regardless!

Fairly sure I've seen an anecdote here where one gave the hot items to passengers on a priv but not the other ones, on the basis that the former weren't going to grass them up. Understandable in one sense but also a great way to wind up the "lay" passengers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top