• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

International student questioned over bus fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

androeb

New Member
Joined
9 Mar 2018
Messages
2
Hello,


I'm a masters student visiting London from the United States. I was on the bus home from university when some yellow jackets boarded the vehicle and asked the passengers inside to produce their cards. When it was my turn to touch mine to the reader, one of the officers informed me that there were insufficient funds on my card. This was news to me, as I'd added money to the card yesterday, and had heard the machine beep when I presented my card on boarding. This officer asked me to get off the bus, and then proceeded to take my details: name, address, and DOB. I informed him that the address was temporary (my program is only a year long) and that I would be returning home soon. I tried to give him my US address as well. I have had this happen to me once before, during my first few days in the country. At that time, the officer who approached me said he would mail me a letter with further information, but that letter never arrived. During the course of this incident, the officer confirmed that I had been in the UK for 6 months, using this previous incident to do so. I repeated several times that my lack of payment was accidental and offered to pay the fare, but was denied. He didn't read me anything or ask me to sign anything. He then printed me a ticket to continue my journey, and said I'd receive a letter in the mail.


What is happening???? I asked if I was being arrested, but the officer would only say that he didn't have the authority to make arrests, and provided curt, and somewhat vague answers to my questions. Am I going to be indicted over a bus fare that I would have been happy to pay???
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
Are you sure the machine didn’t beep twice which indicates the card has been rejected? It’s a lower tone than the normal accepted one beep.

Tfl revenue protection inspectors do sometimes wear hi viz jackets, and should all have their ID on them.
 

androeb

New Member
Joined
9 Mar 2018
Messages
2
Are you sure the machine didn’t beep twice which indicates the card has been rejected? It’s a lower tone than the normal accepted one beep.

Tfl revenue protection inspectors do sometimes wear hi viz jackets, and should all have their ID on them.
I was wearing earphones at the time, and quite a few people boarded with me. I suppose its possible that I misheard? But I was so certain! Is this very serious? He didn't show me any id, but he had a very official-looking uniform.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,328
Location
Bolton
Do you not get a light on the bus ticket machine or card reader to indicate whether the card is accepted or rejected?

Did you use an Oyster card? Have you registered it? Have a look on your online account to see what the balance was at the time.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,730
Location
Scotland
If memory serves correct, you should have noticed an of beep on your previous journey as well - you get one 'free' bus journey when your credit balance reaches zero.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
If memory serves correct, you should have noticed an of beep on your previous journey as well - you get one 'free' bus journey when your credit balance reaches zero.

That is correct however the machine will print a tixcket for this so you can show any inspectors who will also have a print out with them from the machine when they join
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Are you sure the machine didn’t beep twice which indicates the card has been rejected? It’s a lower tone than the normal accepted one beep.

Tfl revenue protection inspectors do sometimes wear hi viz jackets, and should all have their ID on them.

TfL also used to have work with the Met Police in safer transport teams, so the yellow jackets could have been PCSOs? Unless this is no longer the case?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top