• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intercity 47's on the Night Riviera

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hello all,

Having a look in the Working Timetable for 1993 at Paddington, I noticed the Sleepers with a timing load of D345. It made me wonder what the traction was back then, but I'd guess it was Intercity 47/4's? I guess these came in when NSE 50's faded out, but I can't find much on a google search, though I found a few photo's of the other sleepers to Plymouth that were 47 hauled in 1993, so was the Paddington to Penzance a 47/4 too?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Barrett

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2013
Messages
554
Hello all,

Having a look in the Working Timetable for 1993 at Paddington, I noticed the Sleepers with a timing load of D345. It made me wonder what the traction was back then, but I'd guess it was Intercity 47/4's? I guess these came in when NSE 50's faded out, but I can't find much on a google search, though I found a few photo's of the other sleepers to Plymouth that were 47 hauled in 1993, so was the Paddington to Penzance a 47/4 too?

Certianly appeared to be the case in '91, of those that I did see during my time as a fitter at St. Blazey 47s seemed to be used without variation. I also used the Up train regularly on a Friday night and only ever experienced 47 haulage at the time.
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
ILRA pool class 47/8s would seem most likely.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Thought as much, thanks guys :). Been 47/4's for quite a few years hasn't it, considering I guess all it's mainly had is a long spell with Class 50's then a long spell with 47's, and I suppose in a way it still is, just with a refurbed body, new engine and new number..
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,313
The Sleeper changed over from Class 52 to Class 47/4 around 1976, as the 52s were withdrawn. They were among the last trains on the route to be steam heated.

This also led to the Taunton Sleeper fire in 1978, when the up sleeper caught fire and was burned out in the middle of the night. The 52s were only steam heat, but when the 47/4s took over the stock had to be adapted to electric heat. The conversion of the Mk 1 sleepers was poorly done and the new wall-mounted vestibule electric heaters could get very hot. There was also a shortage of electric heat (or even through wired) BGs so the one that had previously been used to convey used bedlinen back to Paddington was withdrawn without replacement, and the attendants then had to just stack it in the end vestibules, where on the night in question it caught fire.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top