• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Sheffield - 24/06/2026

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
That's what my money's on here. Still locked in the opposite direction.
I can say with certainty that this is not what occurred. The selector may not have ticked the engines over but the train would not move in the wrong direction and a fault would then appear on the TCMS.
If a train moved in the wrong direction I can imagine that would be grounds to stop the fleet for a full inspection.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,892
I can say with certainty that this is not what occurred. The selector may not have ticked the engines over but the train would not move in the wrong direction and a fault would then appear on the TCMS.
If a train moved in the wrong direction I can imagine that would be grounds to stop the fleet for a full inspection.
I would agree.

I have never, ever, heard of a 195 powering in the opposite direction to that selected by the driver. The gearbox simply locks into neutral and the engine will not power if the direction is incorrect.

The unit involved in the incident ran under it's own power back to Newton Heath for repair so I can't imagine there was any concern whatsoever that it was a mechanical defect. As you say, if it was a fault then I would expect at least an immediate brief for drivers, if not stopping the full fleet.
 

HLE

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,421
Have you ever had that happen?
I’ve driven 195s a lot (not on the mainline but on depot) and I’ve never gone backwards when putting the direction selector in forward.

Not personally, thankfully. But it's happened to others with CAF Civitys and as per the initial post I replied to the same reason was given.
 

GPR

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2011
Messages
233
Location
Liverpool
195s made by CAF aren’t they? Usual incident involving the chosen Direction Selector being a mere basis for negotiation, depending on air levels? IYKYK…
Does this happen on another class that isn’t 195/331 that you can confirm? It’d be interesting to know. Even when selecting forward the units have a holding brake that stops you rolling back unless you isolate it.
Not personally, thankfully. But it's happened to others with CAF Civitys and as per the initial post I replied to the same reason was given.
Strange one. I and 20 others have been driving them since they’ve been introduced and nothing has ever been reported.
 

HLE

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,421
Does this happen on another class that isn’t 195/331 that you can confirm? It’d be interesting to know. Even when selecting forward the units have a holding brake that stops you rolling back unless you isolate it.

Strange one. I and 20 others have been driving them since they’ve been introduced and nothing has ever been reported.

Yes to the first question. The holding brake came off because it detected there was enough tractive effort to move. Albeit backwards.
 

Top