It's the Mirrless Blackstone power unit that was experimentally fitted to four power cars, 43167 - 170, by BR between 1987 and 1996. It wasn't considered a success (Apologies for the duplication - for some reason the comment by
43096 above wasn't showing up when I posted this).
XC - someone loves XC! If ever a company wanted wrapping up and sending back to Belgium its Bombardier who visited those awful things on us and DB/Arriva who don't seem to realise that passengers like seats and room for luggage too!
A beeter reason to drive does not exist!
If you're referring to the comment by
TT-ORN-NRN, then I believe that they were expressing a preference for Virgin Trains (They usually do

), not Arriva XC. Though given that it was the former that foisted those dratted Voyagers upon us, and had reduced their legacy fleets to frequently woeful condition prior to withdrawal then I can't unequivocally sing their praises, either.