• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to decide between potential job offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolly87

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
West Midlands
This might all be a bit academic, as I might end up with no job offers, but I am in the happy (and from what I can make out very, very rare) situation of being short listed for three potential roles - one platform, and two trainee train manager/senior conductor roles with different TOCs. I've done the online tests for all of them and passed, and completed an online interview for the platform job.

I haven't been offered an in person interview yet, and of course there's no guarantee I will for any of them, let alone a job offer, but I wondered what sorts of things I should be considering if it gets to that stage. For instance, I have looked up the two depots, and one operates four routes, and the other six. In real terms what difference does that sort of thing make? One of the jobs has mention of the 'pool'. As I've been lurking on this forum for about a year now, I understand that one does not want to be in the pool if you can possibly help it.

I would be coming out of a non-transport industry, but one that does have aspects of customer service and safety critical working. Without experience of either role except what I have observed as a passenger and read on here, or learned from talking to someone in the industry, I think I'd be more comfortable on the platform as a newcomer, but the train manager/conductor jobs I think would be much more interesting day-to-day. Am I wrong? If you've done both which did you prefer, and why?

Any one of these jobs would be an amazing opportunity and I'm chuffed just to have got to this stage.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,073
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
I can't comment on the role of platform staff as I've never done the job, but I became a guard "off the street" (i.e. from outside the rail industry) and never felt uncomfortable or felt that it was too much at any point. The training is well-paced and very thorough and they will teach you everything you need to know, at least was the case at my TOC.

Ultimately though, train crew roles will always be superior to other roles on the railway in terms of pay, conditions, etc. That's just the way it is, unfortunately.

Apologies I can't provide much more advice but that's just my two cents. I wish you the best whichever path you decide to choose. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top