And since [Energy saving bulbs] contain mercury, how do we get rid of them?
That's actually a very good point, I'd never thought of that!
As it is; Just over a year ago, I had a slight accident involving an energy saver that got caught by my Blade during some late-night Sword practice. I didn't give any thought to the mercury inside the bulb (I'd forgotton it was an ingredient in any kind of neon fitting) but the 25Kv arc that nearly formed between a bare electrode and the tip of the Blade was a little unnerving.

hock:
In any case, it wouldn't have happened with a
proper incandescent bulb (I'm now regretting being an early adopter of energy savers!) and does indeed raise an interesting point:
Energy saving bulbs are - In fact - Far more potentially dangerous than traditional ones! 
:roll:
I've laid in a stock of filament bulbs which should last me till LED lamps come on the market at a reasonable price.
I have to confess...Being a rather frugal git with my 'leccy bill, I've actually laid in a stock of energy savers. If Id've known that LED based ones were in the works though, Id've looked towards those insted.
As it is, I might try and flog the ES bulbs anyway...I bought 'em at the end of a Tesco promo when they were knocking 'em out for about 20p for five, and I was in such a rush at the time I didn't realise until a few days later that I'd gone and bought screw-fits by mistake. Not helpful, given that all of my fittings have bayonet connections! :roll:
Even so I'm advised by the World Health Organisation not to eat fish more than twice a week because of mercury contamination from the environment.
Now that's something else that we didn't have ten years ago, and did we even
want such health "advice" back then? Nay...We lived our lives, and didn't ever have to bother with all the
healthy this, unhealthy that, don't do that nanny culture that we've now found ourselves stuck in! :roll:
What I don't get about our nanny state though is: Given that the vast majority of people (I would guess at least 90% upwards) in our country seem to like it about as much as I do, how the Hades has it been allowed to exist and continue like it has? Has nobody tried to stick a much needed Sword in it's gut yet?
