• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long do we envisage 'shielding' to go on for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Was talking to my headteacher this morning about various bits and pieces that cropped up in the headteacher virtual meeting this morning. One of the things that we were discussing was the impact on those that are shielding. As it is, I'm not likely to be in school until mid-June when the shielding period has reached three months. A reporter asked last night or the night before whether the various bigwigs in the trio whether that meant those in the shielding groups would have to extend the time they shield as the virus isn't going to 'disappear' after the three months has been and gone. Obviously, they didn't get an answer.
So. What do you think? Am I likely to be able to leave the confines of my garden, other than to go for my hospital treatment anytime soon?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,408
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Was talking to my headteacher this morning about various bits and pieces that cropped up in the headteacher virtual meeting this morning. One of the things that we were discussing was the impact on those that are shielding. As it is, I'm not likely to be in school until mid-June when the shielding period has reached three months. A reporter asked last night or the night before whether the various bigwigs in the trio whether that meant those in the shielding groups would have to extend the time they shield as the virus isn't going to 'disappear' after the three months has been and gone. Obviously, they didn't get an answer.
So. What do you think? Am I likely to be able to leave the confines of my garden, other than to go for my hospital treatment anytime soon?

My place is working on the basis that the 12 weeks is likely to be extended, I’m guessing this must have filtered out of government in some way. Whether this will apply to all or some is another matter.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,679
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
My place is working on the basis that the 12 weeks is likely to be extended, I’m guessing this must have filtered out of government in some way. Whether this will apply to all or some is another matter.

While the "shielding" thing is just advice anyway (so you can choose to ignore it if you prefer), if the option is taken to loosen the overall lockdown I could see them extending the shielding advice to a larger group, rather than reducing it (e.g. all over 70s and all with any form of underlying condition). It's hard to say, though.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
While the "shielding" thing is just advice anyway (so you can choose to ignore it if you prefer), if the option is taken to loosen the overall lockdown I could see them extending the shielding advice to a larger group, rather than reducing it (e.g. all over 70s and all with any form of underlying condition). It's hard to say, though.
I'd prefer to not die, personally.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,408
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
While the "shielding" thing is just advice anyway (so you can choose to ignore it if you prefer), if the option is taken to loosen the overall lockdown I could see them extending the shielding advice to a larger group, rather than reducing it (e.g. all over 70s and all with any form of underlying condition). It's hard to say, though.

The question was raised on another thread about what might happen if this shielding goes on indefinitely. How long can firms sustain keeping people on the books who have no prospect of being able to carry out their normal work? Especially anyone who is close to their nominal retirement. Thoughts on what might happen?

For something like the railway this will be problematic as we run into the traditional problem that replacement of some staff has a long lead-time.

I suspect that if a vaccine isn’t forthcoming by next year then some difficult questions are going to have to be tackled.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
My own thought is that the 'shielding' advice will change and different groups received differing extensions, this being (to use a government phrase) "guided by the science". I suspect over the next few weeks, more patterns will emerge - which will obviously have to be looked at scientifically. On a related topic, while I realise the three musketeers at the daily press briefings cannot give definitive answers to many questions, I do wish sometimes they would be a bit more open about what options could be implemented, depending on the science.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top