I do think that a more appropriate balance is being struck now and that this was the correct time to end the press conferences.
The main thing I picked up was a balance in tone between the attending speakers. The minister attending now seems to be more focused on reopening the country and radiates a more 'calm' tone, whereas the advisor(s) attending tends to be more focused on the suppression of the virus and radiates a more 'cautious' and uncertain tone. In order to allow the economy to reopen whilst suppressing the virus to an acceptable level, there needs to be a fine balance between caution and reason, and I feel that this was what we were starting to see before they stopped the conferences.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's now purely Johnson, Vallance and Whitty that come out, and if the tone of the future conferences will remain similar to last night, yes we are reopening the country, but we still haven't got our mitigations (contact tracing app and system) fully ready yet, so we still need you to be cautious until we have this sorted.