• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

House for sale next to level crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett M95

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2011
Messages
223
I lived right next to the east coast mainline (30ft away) for years. I can't say that in all that time any trains ever caused sleep problems. In fact it was always strange at Christmas because it fell too quiet!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
22
I know what you mean, even on a Sunday if there are overunning engineering works it's odd - almost like it's too quiet even though it's actually quiet anyway :)

Did you ever get that weird thing where you are sitting out in the garden and after an hour or two think "how odd, there have been no trains" only to realise there clearly have and you've not heard any of them?
 

Barrett M95

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2011
Messages
223
Yes! We did. Also, we'd know when there were problems or delays. The givaway was that it was a 125mph stretch of track with no stops within 16 miles, so if something rolled past at 20mph, clearly something was wrong. I think the worst we had was because there was a signal right at the bottom of the garden, if there were delays and an HST got stopped there, the "thrumming" idle of the engine would grab our attention, and a quick peek through the curtains would confirm that indeed, there was a stationary train which inevitably meant there was a signal failure, incident, failed train, {insert rail delay here} down the line!
 
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
22
I know exactly what you mean!!

It's really odd to think that you can know so much about what's going on just by how a train is behaving isn't it? It's like when we had the really heavy snow last year - a quick glance out of the window and total silence led me to believe there was no point in trying to get to work :grin:
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
I lived next to the railway for a few years, on the Kent Coast. A slammer in each direction every hour. It was like a background rhythm to the day. The trains passed the house at the same time every hour, and irregular workings were easily identified. For a young lad keen on railways, any irregular workings on such a line were gold as they were so rare. Engineers, TPO, sandites, RT/Serco test trains (back in the days of RES 47's and red/grey coaches).

I'd quite like to live next to a varied railway.
 
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
22
I lived next to the railway for a few years, on the Kent Coast. A slammer in each direction every hour. It was like a background rhythm to the day. The trains passed the house at the same time every hour, and irregular workings were easily identified. For a young lad keen on railways, any irregular workings on such a line were gold as they were so rare. Engineers, TPO, sandites, RT/Serco test trains (back in the days of RES 47's and red/grey coaches).

I'd quite like to live next to a varied railway.

Funny you should say that Hydro, I know where there's one for sale :lol:
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
I've been ambushed! I'm some way off from being able to buy a house, thankyouverymuch world banking.
 

Barrett M95

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2011
Messages
223
I also remember celebrating in the garden at New Year a few years back. It had just gone midnight and a train passed at about 00:10 on Jan 1st. First train of the year. He gave us a honk and a wave. That was a nice touch. I sympathised as I can imagine it was the least popular shift of the year and he drew the short straw.
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
See that was a schoolboy error right there.
It get awfully tempting to blow ones horn on approach to crossings !!
I hope no XC / Chiltern / Freightliner / EWS / LM driver would do this though if they have read this :D

There may have been a four tone at the crossing earlier on today. ;)
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
We live close enough to the railway in Llanelli to hear the freight trains and HST's - as long as the TV is off and the windows open. Or we're in the garden!

But I've lived near to the railway in one place or another for the last sixteen years, so I might have got used to it!
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I live fairly near the railway (it's about 1 1/2 miles away), and if the windows are open, you can always hear the horn, then the 'wooosh' as the train goes past, followed by another horn sound. Most of the time at least one is a two tone; I can work out what train it is from the sound of the horn and the woosh — a train just went by and it had a very long woosh which indicates a freight train and the horn sounded like a 66. A few minutes later I recognise a 170 in the distance, which has a far shorter woosh.
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
I live fairly near the railway (it's about 1 1/2 miles away), and if the windows are open, you can always hear the horn, then the 'wooosh' as the train goes past, followed by another horn sound. Most of the time at least one is a two tone; I can work out what train it is from the sound of the horn and the woosh — a train just went by and it had a very long woosh which indicates a freight train and the horn sounded like a 66. A few minutes later I recognise a 170 in the distance, which has a far shorter woosh.

The doctor is on his way! :lol:
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
The doctor is on his way! :D
Ha ha! :lol:

I was just watching some clips on YouTube earlier and I came across this one in which your house seems to be the main feature, complete with 'for sale' sign! :)
 
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
22
There may have been a four tone at the crossing earlier on today. ;)

What a shame I was out ;)

There was a XC that went past at 7.55 this morning (southbound) and gave it the big one - thanks if that was you :grin:

Maybe we should have a competition to see who can make me jump out of my skin the most - don't try it in the early hours of the morning though, bad things will happen to you ;)

Class172 - I can't access that You Tube clip, it doesn't play anything when I go in, any chance of posting it again so I can see my fine mansion? :lol:

I am with you on the being able to identify the trains just from the noises though - not as technically as you, but I can certainly tell which is which from quite a distance, as can my neighbour's 4 year old daughter :lol:
 

Rugd1022

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2010
Messages
565
Location
Rugby
That's quite a challenge you are laying down there. One I am sure I can make a big effort to win !
And no it wasn't me at 0755 !

I might just have the edge on you there XCD.... some of our 66 horns are very loud...!

;)
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Class172 - I can't access that You Tube clip, it doesn't play anything when I go in, any chance of posting it again so I can see my fine mansion? :lol:
Odd that, it works on my iPod.

Try this: :)
[youtube]IV-IEuG1mPk[/youtube]

I am with you on the being able to identify the trains just from the noises though - not as technically as you, but I can certainly tell which is which from quite a distance, as can my neighbour's 4 year old daughter :lol:
To be honest, it's not that hard where I am as there isn't much variation:
Class 170 - short and quiet sound
Class 150/153 - short and noisy sound
Class 66 - long and noisy sound
Class 220/221 - bit hard to tell really
HST - horn gives it away

The latter two are much rarer so do take a bit of thinking to categorise them. I get really confused when a special working comes along (eg Class 60/Railtour).

From what I've heard the new 172s are almost deathly quiet, so this will really test my hearing from over 2000 yards away - the nearby M5 and A38 will probably drown it out.
 
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
22
Now now. Play nicely !!
I think bushy tailed fox is in for a big surprise !!

Oh no, it's all kicking off, what have I started? :grin:

Class172 what a brilliant clip, thanks a lot - could see it as clear as day. What a fine looking property, I can't believe one of you doesn't want it...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Right come on - which of you went past at 8.30 this morning in something of a fanfare?!

I think it was a Chiltern, but I am not ruling anyone out... :grin:
 
Last edited:
Joined
20 Aug 2011
Messages
22
Missed it - unless you were driving the Shakespeare Express? ;)

I love seeing that go past, it looks so beautiful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top