• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hayle Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredtheshred

Member
Joined
3 May 2018
Messages
85
I arrived with my parents into St Ives around 1978?

I was begging them to leave me on the station (Hayle) whilst they went exploring. They were having none of it.

So I asked for ten mins on the station.

There was a teenage lad on the platform whom we started talking to. Turns out his dad was the ticket guy/signalman for Hayle station.

He just tells my parents he will look after me.

Seeing a 25 come off the wharves line and the "one a day" HST of the new generation was amazing.

I think Wharves closed not long after, along with the box, but I spent 3 half days there that week.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,682
Location
The West Country
There are some excellent photos of Hayle in the 1970s on the Cornwall Railway Society website. It shows 25080 passing the station and its two members of staff plus a spotter on the platform with his Adidas bag.
The box closed in 1982. Interestingly it retained its Spagnoletti block instruments until 1979.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top