I totally agree that it would be madness to say it is only available downstairs, and such a prohibition wouldn't really be feasible!
But these tickets have no restriction at all out of St Pancras and are not labelled in any way as TOC-specific.
Yes that's right. I would have been allowed on FCC but not EMT and that's from the same station, St Pancras.
However, it was at around 1700. The EMT evening peak had begun by that point, but the FCC evening peak hadn't begun. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Also, whilst one guard could make a mistake, two actually told me the same thing and also the barrier was set up to not let that ticket through.
And yes, I also saw it as perfectly valid on the trainline and also on the national rail site.
I would understand some evening peak restrictions. For example, I do Ryde to York a few times a year and I'm quite used to afternoon peak restrictions out of KX. I suspect this is because the fare is set by East Coast and also, the restriction code is mentioned on that fare.
Hence, the surprise with the Ryde to Bedford issue as there was no restriction code and the fare set by SWT.
I wonder if EMT put that restriction on because it is still valid on a reasonable FCC connection, so they've not actually affected my journey too much (only by a few minutes). If there wasn't the FCC connection, perhaps they wouldn't be able to do that?