• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Winter Steam Gala.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,139
Location
North Manchester
Great Central Winter Steam Gala. Saturday 28th January 2017.

My last weekend before flying into Europe, so it was nice to see the Great Central Railway was running a gala. I drove down to Manchester to catch the 05.11 Cross Country service as far as Stoke. I was pleasantly surprised to meet a friend Nathan in the café on the station, who was also visiting the gala, so we travelled down together with a stopover at Derby to catch up with some movements. We arrived at Loughborough just before 09.00 and met a few more of Nathan`s mates on the station platform. I left the guys there as I wanted to breakfast in a local café I visit. After a quick breakfast I walked up to the Great Central Railway and visited the sheds for some early morning steaming up shots.

Locomotives and stock running were 70013 Oliver, 6990 Witherslack Hall, 78018 2MT, 777 Sir Lamiel, 92214 standard 9F, 48624 8F, 46521 Ivatt 2MT, 45305 Black 5, 47406 Jinty 3F, a Metropolitan Cammell DMU, and Maunsell Q class 0-6-0 30541, on loan from the Bluebell. It was a very busy day and trains appeared to be lining up all the time, an amazing railway.

I initially took a ride to Leicester North, dropping back to Rothley and later Quorn and Woodhouse. I then walked down the road to get some linside photographs from the infamous field, and later walked down to the next few bridges before returning to Loughborough Central for another ride to Leicester North. I returned to Loughborough Central and after a final shed visit, travelled back to Manchester via Sheffield, arriving home a little after 20.00, a very enjoyable gala, well done to all involved on the Great Central Railway. Many thanks for reading.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742624.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top