• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Graffiti vandal faces a Singapore caning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Found this little gem in a free paper on the train home, :)

A Swiss man faces being caned in Singapore today for breaking into rail depot and spray-painting graffiti on a underground train.

Oliver Fricker, 32, was said to have committed the offences with a 29-year-old British man, believed to have fled to Hong Kong.

Vandalism in Singapore carries a £970 fine and three to eight stokes of the cane.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
He got five months in the nick, a S$2,000 fine and three strokes of the cane. They don't do things by halves down there. These punishments have never really changed since British Colonial times in Singapore.

News reports from Razor TV in Singapore.

Part 1

Part 2
 
Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Odd to think that less than 25 years ago kids were being caned routinely every day in British schools (or given the even more brutal tawse in Scotland). How times have changed that 3 strokes of the cane half way across the world is now news!
 

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
4SRKT said:
Odd to think that less than 25 years ago kids were being caned routinely every day in British schools (or given the even more brutal tawse in Scotland). How times have changed that 3 strokes of the cane half way across the world is now news!

Indeed it has changed so much. My parents tell me that caning was only a deterent to the weaker minded students. Those bent on causing trouble would go ahead anyway, no matter how much they were caned. I guess a punishment is only worth it if it works.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Surely that emans that some people were deterred from causing trouble, therefore it worked?
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
Odd to think that less than 25 years ago kids were being caned routinely every day in British schools (or given the even more brutal tawse in Scotland). How times have changed that 3 strokes of the cane half way across the world is now news!

I started school in 1965 & finished in 1978, no school I attended (4) used the cane or any form of corporal punishment
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
The first school I attended (1969) had the cane but never used it. The fact it was there was a huge deterrent. It was to me anyway.

Unfortunately, I think the perpetrators of this crime forgot they were not in Britain and British rules no longer apply. No ASBO's in Singapore.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The first school I attended (1969) had the cane but never used it. The fact it was there was a huge deterrent. It was to me anyway.

Unfortunately, I think the perpetrators of this crime forgot they were not in Britain and British rules no longer apply.

Iwas ins econdary school from 1977 to 1982. The cane was used, and so were other physical punishments like a clip round the ear and a slippering! There was very little trouble and hardly any bullying.

Corporal punsihemnt was definitely a deterrnet to me personally, and also to many of my peers, it would seem, as the number of such punishments were relatively low for the amount of pupils atending the school.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
I hold the dubious distinction of being the oldest person in my school ever to have been slippered - in the 5th form(!). Something to do with being very late for a sports lesson, combined with some lip, if I recall rightly.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Caned and black dapped (gym shoe) at junior school in the early 80's. Taught me two very important lessons:

Don't get caught.
Lie convincingly.

:lol:
 

tripleseis

Member
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
208
Singapore - Disneyland with the Death Penalty or a FINE city.

It looks like a nice place but there are lots of laws there which I feel are quite draconian (especially in regards to sexualty and gender).
 

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
Exactly, Singapore is kind of how Disneyland would be if it were run by the Nazis. Having said that I have been there too many times to remember and I love it.:)
 

gingerheid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
1,726
I presume they have less damage and disruption caused by vandals there, so it's a good thing.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,925
Location
UK
It's all about rights and responsibilities. Looking at the state of our country, perhaps we've gone too far the other way to allow people the right to do almost anything.

Isn't chewing gum illegal in Singapore? After both myself and my wife have in the last couple of months got gum stuck in our shoes, I'd be all for locking people up for a few years for spitting out their gum on the street!! (Not that I am suggesting people are jailed for it in Singapore!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top