• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia Thameslink Railway (Southern) - Delay repay declined

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
It's obvious to anybody who relies on the railways regularly that the current regulatory framework for ensuring adequate customer service is utterly inadequate. Hardly a day goes by when I don't witness or experience a TOC "misbehaving". Common "offenses" include lying about ticket time restrictions, lying about passenger rights during disruption and overcharging by various means. It's not just me, the ORR's 2016/17 Annual rail customer report is pretty damning; 20% of passengers overcharged for tickets (from TVMs), 80% of passengers dissatisfied with information given during disruption, 52% dissatisfied with complaints handling, 66% of ORR "mystery shoppers" given incorrect information regarding compensation claims, etc. etc. Source; PDF warning. I look forward to the publication of this year's report, but I doubt it will show much improvement.
I don't disagree with some of this, but this is not relevant to claims in the thread that I challenged earlier that "it's not like there's any public authority that would be bothered." I know this claim to be wrong through my dealings with the department.

The regulatory framework is a complex setup involving stakeholders from all areas. There are many things about it that can be improved, and parliament have the option to make these happen, taking into account existing franchise terms and potentially building things into future ones. We are gradually seeing things such as the independent ombudsman happen, although many including me would have preferred this to have happened sooner.

The department have many shortcomings and competency in many areas are indeed seemingly lacking, especially fares, but maybe the complexity of the system isn't helping and a genuine rethink of the system is required. That in no way says that no one could be bothered, just that answers may not always be simple and straight-forward. They are however constrained on many fronts. Not all aspects of any regulatory body's work would or should be made available for all and sundry to see. This does not mean the department's work could not be made more transparent, but as mentioned before, there is no reason why you could not lodge an FoI request and see if your desired information could be obtained that way. Maybe you will then start to appreciate how much actually goes on behind the scenes.

If you are going by many of the stories and complaints told on this forum then it is further complicated by the fact that some things simply aren't set out in black and white, so it is not always possible for the regulator to act, eg. Delay Repay on split tickets. There is also then another layer of complexity that companies should be given the opportunity to put things right first, unless the problem is systematic. How may problems we see on this forum are not resolved following escalation, and what percentage does that represent of all cases? I don't know where your claim
I very much doubt the DfT ever gives a TOC more than a slap on the wrist anyway; I suspect that making this public would just reveal how pathetic such "enforcement" really is. I'm sure RDG has convinced the DfT that drawing attention to bad behaviour will bring the entire industry into disrepute and harm the "brands" of "innocent" (if such a thing exists) TOCs.
came from, but I must admire your imagination. As for your quoted example for Go-Ahead, they do not only operate rail services, and AFAIK Thameslink did lose a lot of money, and was a much downgraded financial performance than what was originally forecast.

The industry is failing in many areas, as the ORR report suggest, absolutely, sometimes miserably, especially in regards to correctly explaining ticket restrictions to customers and communication when things go wrong which is one that particularly bugs me, as it is a great opportunity to improve customer journey experience. Not all problems can be fixed by the regulator. Perhaps they should be tougher on incorrect refusals to pay out on full delay compensation amounts, but what percentage does it represent as a proportion of all claims? You have to remember the regulators have limited resources, so effort may be concentrated somewhere more important. None of this says the regulator cannot be bothered. Maybe we need to throw more resources at it, I don't know, but even now, if they catch you on the fiddle systematically, or deliberately do things fraudulently, they would take it very seriously.

What you also need to remember is that any action taken by the regulator needs to be within the overall framework. Perhaps the whole regulatory system is ineffective, in which case the government have the power to amend and improve.
You "know" no such thing. You cannot read my mind.
Your post history is out there for all to see so I think we can safely let other readers make up their own mind.

As to whether I am being objective, again I am sure people can make their own mind up.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
I don't disagree with some of this, but this is not relevant to claims in the thread that I challenged earlier that "it's not like there's any public authority that would be bothered." I know this claim to be wrong through my dealings with the department.

Fine, rephrase it as "it's not like there's any public authority that would be bothered and has the resources and powers to do anything effective about it". If such an authority existed, then things would be improving (that's what it means to be "effective"). I've seen no evidence of this. I've seen plenty of evidence over the last decade or so that the situation is getting worse.

The regulatory framework is a complex setup involving stakeholders from all areas.

"All areas" meaning everyone except passengers, of course.

parliament have the option to make these happen

As you already mentioned (and I agreed with), the government don't care. I've seen little evidence that the opposition care much about passengers either. Without getting too political, it seems that the Conservatives generally support the TOCs while Labour strongly supports the staff unions. Nobody has much regard for passengers, at least not beyond what it takes to get votes from commuter-heavy constituencies.

We are gradually seeing things such as the independent ombudsman happen, although many including me would have preferred this to have happened sooner.

As I mentioned, the establishment of an ombudsman is already well behind schedule and with the results of the latest "consultation" stating that TOCs will have up to 6 months after it's established to "sign up" and then another 2 months before they actually have to start mentioning it to their customers, in addition to the time it'll take for said ombudsman to start having an impact, I very much doubt we'll see anything much before 2020. Assuming the TOCs don't find a way to prevent it, of course. I agree that "many" (count me in that too) would have preferred to have this happen sooner. Around the time of privatisation in the mid-1990s would have been the "right" time IMHO. I suppose 25 years late is better than never...

the complexity of the system isn't helping and a genuine rethink of the system is required

Agreed. However, it's the DfT that allowed the system to become so absurdly complex, so they're not getting any sympathy from me for that. They created the monster, it's their responsibility to deal with it.

Not all aspects of any regulatory body's work would or should be made available for all and sundry to see.

That's a deliberate misrepresentation of my point. I've repeatedly stated (in different ways) that where a regulator has taken action in relation to a business's dealings with the public, the public has a right to be informed of that action taken in their name. I never said that "all aspects" should be available.

If you are going by many of the stories and complaints told on this forum then it is further complicated by the fact that some things simply aren't set out in black and white, so it is not always possible for the regulator to act, eg. Delay Repay on split tickets.

Not just on this forum, but other places too... Sure, a few cases aren't "black and white", but easily 95% are. A quick review of recent threads... Refusal to sell the requested ticket, refusal to allow travel with a valid ticket (two different threads), threats of penalties and overcharging due to TVMs not accepting all valid payment methods, incompetence to the level of "indistinguishable from malice" in delay repay claims, etc. Most of these threads have commenters recounting similar experiences. I'd be more understanding of "weaknesses" in handling "difficult" cases if TOCs were consistently "strong" at handling the "easy" cases.

There is also then another layer of complexity that companies should be given the opportunity to put things right first, unless the problem is systematic.

It's pretty darned obvious (to me at least) that the problem is systematic.

How may problems we see on this forum are not resolved following escalation, and what percentage does that represent of all cases?

Most of these problems should never have come up in the first place, let alone require "escalation". How many passengers face similar issues but aren't members of this forum and don't have access to "knowledgeable" people to advise them? How many passengers just accept the "advice" given by TOC staff without questioning and never realise that they've been scammed? I'd guess that that covers the vast majority.

I don't know where your claim [...] came from

It's simply an expansion of what "commercial concerns" means in practice.

As for your quoted example for Go-Ahead, they do not only operate rail services, and AFAIK Thameslink did lose a lot of money, and was a much downgraded financial performance than what was originally forecast.

According to their last annual report, some 75% of Go-Ahead Group's revenue comes from rail. In any other industry, if a division responsible for that much revenue performed as shambolically as they have, the group would be in severe financial difficulty. As it is, the "softly softly" approach to regulation means that they're laughing all the way to the bank. My recollection is that they were able to deflect blame for Thameslink's poor performance onto NR/the DfT (there is some sense in that; the "Thameslink 2000" project is nearly 20 years behind schedule), so were compensated.

Perhaps they should be tougher on incorrect refusals to pay out on full delay compensation amounts, but what percentage does it represent as a proportion of all claims?

The sensible thing would be to have delay compensation claims handled by an independent body. The fact that TOCs get to decide whether/how much to pay for their own failures to run a proper service is an obvious conflict of interest.

Even if the regulators don't want to fix that, DR should be enshrined in the NRCOT, not individual franchise agreements and there should be penalties for every instance where the TOC has failed to pay the correct compensation within a reasonable time period (e.g. 1 month, with possible extension around Christmas/Easter when larger numbers travel and fewer office staff are available). Something like £100 per additional week per claim. Enough to have bite (and to make hiring additional office staff make business sense), but not so much that a TOC would be bankrupted by a one-off unexpected influx of claims.

if they catch you on the fiddle systematically, or deliberately do things fraudulently, they would take it very seriously.

It shouldn't have to be proven "deliberate" to result in serious action. Passengers don't have to be shown to be "deliberately" breaking the rules to have serious action taken against them... The consequences of systematic, deliberate fraud should be even more severe; at least as severe as the action taken when National Express couldn't pay their premiums to the DfT.

the government have the power to amend and improve

We've both agreed that the government don't care. It's basically "open season" on screwing over passengers these days. Maybe eventually the TOCs "additional revenue extraction" strategies will target someone they shouldn't, such as an MP or someone they care about and a few questions will be raised in parliament... And go nowhere, of course.

Your post history is out there for all to see so I think we can safely let other readers make up their own mind.

I make no secret of the fact that I don't like TOCs and think the railways are extremely poorly regulated from the viewpoint of treating passengers fairly and respectfully. (However, I'm not particularly in favour of re-nationalisation either.) Just as you make no secret of trying to defend TOCs at virtually every opportunity.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
"All areas" meaning everyone except passengers, of course.

Well, no. Statutory passenger groups are always represented. My views on the competency of such groups are however well known. I don't know what the solution for that was. I make no secret of my desire to form more effective pressure groups with a pragmatic approach and a focused effort on the most important issues affecting customer journey experience but there seems little interest despite some of the loudest voices on the forum.

As you already mentioned (and I agreed with), the government don't care. I've seen little evidence that the opposition care much about passengers either. Without getting too political, it seems that the Conservatives generally support the TOCs while Labour strongly supports the staff unions. Nobody has much regard for passengers, at least not beyond what it takes to get votes from commuter-heavy constituencies.

I think the government do care from what I can see, however expertise on many technical issues seems lacking for whatever reason, which means many actions often seem to miss the point.

That is also the reason I am very much a supporter for genuine simplification of the fares system as a whole, on a revenue-neutral basis, but again such proposals on this forum are always met with irrational objections demanding that no customer must lose out at all, which means nothing will change and we continue with this absurdity of a system requiring a degree in railway ticketing to find a good deal in many cases

That's a deliberate misrepresentation of my point. I've repeatedly stated (in different ways) that where a regulator has taken action in relation to a business's dealings with the public, the public has a right to be informed of that action taken in their name. I never said that "all aspects" should be available.

These are not actions taken in the name of the general public. Why would you think it is? There are franchise terms and the DfT discovered systematic irregularities therefore took actions against them. I am sure parliament would have access to records of such dealings if they wished, and perhaps you could get access to them via FoI's too, but I don't know what you will be able to uncover.

Not just on this forum, but other places too... Sure, a few cases aren't "black and white", but easily 95% are. A quick review of recent threads... Refusal to sell the requested ticket, refusal to allow travel with a valid ticket (two different threads), threats of penalties and overcharging due to TVMs not accepting all valid payment methods, incompetence to the level of "indistinguishable from malice" in delay repay claims, etc. Most of these threads have commenters recounting similar experiences. I'd be more understanding of "weaknesses" in handling "difficult" cases if TOCs were consistently "strong" at handling the "easy" cases.

It's pretty darned obvious (to me at least) that the problem is systematic.

Most of these problems should never have come up in the first place, let alone require "escalation". How many passengers face similar issues but aren't members of this forum and don't have access to "knowledgeable" people to advise them? How many passengers just accept the "advice" given by TOC staff without questioning and never realise that they've been scammed? I'd guess that that covers the vast majority.

Again, what proportion of cases do these represent? It remains true that the overwhelming majority of journeys take place with no issue whatsoever.

I agree it is regrettable that these things happen at all, and there may well be some underlying issue at some companies, but in no way do a small selection of cases suggest it is widespread and systematic. I am sure the regulator will have access to far more information than a few isolated internet forums, and there is nothing stopping those affected contacting the regulators to bring such cases to their attention, which is something I always recommend.

The sensible thing would be to have delay compensation claims handled by an independent body. The fact that TOCs get to decide whether/how much to pay for their own failures to run a proper service is an obvious conflict of interest.

Agreed. The establishment of an independent ombudsman cannot come soon enough. Maybe an independent compensation assessment body is what should be next on the list, with clearer definitions on what happens in various situations more complex than using a simple point-to-point ticket.

Even if the regulators don't want to fix that, DR should be enshrined in the NRCOT, not individual franchise agreements and there should be penalties for every instance where the TOC has failed to pay the correct compensation within a reasonable time period (e.g. 1 month, with possible extension around Christmas/Easter when larger numbers travel and fewer office staff are available). Something like £100 per additional week per claim. Enough to have bite (and to make hiring additional office staff make business sense), but not so much that a TOC would be bankrupted by a one-off unexpected influx of claims.

That is not the regulator's job to decide what should an should not be enshrined in the NRCoT. They can make representations and recommendations, but it is not up to them to decided what is included and what not. All these additional measures you mention are fine to be included if judged to be necessary, but just bear in mind that these will then potentially be built into the price of franchise bids as no TOC, no matter how good they may or may not be, can get things 100% right so there would be a cost attached to it.

Perhaps a more important broader underlying issue is that the government needs to realise that lower prices do not always make financial sense. I won't comment too much on that but I am not sure it is something the government realise going by certain awards recently.

It shouldn't have to be proven "deliberate" to result in serious action. Passengers don't have to be shown to be "deliberately" breaking the rules to have serious action taken against them... The consequences of systematic, deliberate fraud should be even more severe; at least as severe as the action taken when National Express couldn't pay their premiums to the DfT.

I agree that some of the existing railway legislation is not really fit for purpose, but that is a separate issue.

I make no secret of the fact that I don't like TOCs and think the railways are extremely poorly regulated from the viewpoint of treating passengers fairly and respectfully. (However, I'm not particularly in favour of re-nationalisation either.) Just as you make no secret of trying to defend TOCs at virtually every opportunity.

Again my criticism of the industry, the regulatory body, and the government on relevant issues are well documented on the forum, so I make no further comment on this allegation.

I just prefer to take a more pragmatic view on things. Funny that we get accused of being overly pro-TOC and overly pro-customer at the same time from different people. Must be doing something right I guess.
 

gingerheid

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
1,726
Hello,

I've had my delay repay claims with GTR, specifically Southern declined with a bit of a snotty comms back about why in the past few weeks. I replied and the upshot is they are demanding a percentage of my paid delays back claiming they "know" a large portion are fraudulent?

Any news?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top