• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting from Heathrow to Laindon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister_D

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
6
Hello everyone! I'm new to this board but it may prove very useful in the future :)

So I have the following question: what's the best and/or cheapest way to get from Heathrow Airport to Laindon Railway Station near Basildon? I'm travelling one-way only.

I'm thinking about going to Fenchurch Street by tube and then take the direct train to Laindon. If this is the best route, how much would it cost?

Also, is a taxi a fair alternative when travelling with another person and lugagge? I don't have any idea of the costs.

Thank you in advance for any help!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
I'm thinking about going to Fenchurch Street by tube and then take the direct train to Laindon. If this is the best route, how much would it cost?
Note that you won't get the tube direct to Fenchurch Street. You will have a short walk from Tower Hill tube station to Fenchurch Street. If you don't want to pay to go on the Heathrow Express to Paddington then you should get the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and then walk accross the platform and get the District line to Tower Hill.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,736
Location
Yorkshire
Prices to Farringdon:

Expect a pre-booked mincab to cost about £50, a black cab to be about £100.

Tube will be £4.50 each if you pay cash, £4.20 peak/£2.40 off peak if you have oystercards.

If you're going to Fenchurch Street I wouldn't have thought the Heathrow Express would be any use.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
In answer to your question how much is a single from heathrow rail to laindon the cost is 28.50 for an anytime day single. You can use this ticket on heathrow express to london paddington, tube to tower hill, and then travel on from london fenchurch street to laindon
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
The cheapest way is to avoid the Heathrow Express, which is ridiculously expensive, and take the Piccadilly tube line to Hammersmith or Barons Court, where you have cross-platform interchange with the District Line, this isn't actually a tube but is often called that as it's part of London Underground. See this picture, the tube train to the left is a Piccadilly line train, the full-size train to the right is a District line train. A train going toward Upminster/Barking/Whitechapel will take you to Tower Hill, where you can do the short walk to Fenchurch Street, or you can change at West Ham, where you just need to cross platforms (over a footbridge or underpass, as it's not cross-platform).

I think the ticket will cost you £8.80 for a ticket from Heathrow Undergd to Laindon (Rte: Upminster)
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
or you can change at West Ham, where you just need to cross platforms (over a footbridge or underpass, as it's not cross-platform).
Or you can change at Barking where there is cross-platform interchange with c2c.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
The cheapest way is to avoid the Heathrow Express, which is ridiculously expensive, and take the Piccadilly tube line to Hammersmith or Barons Court, where you have cross-platform interchange with the District Line, this isn't actually a tube but is often called that as it's part of London Underground. See this picture, the tube train to the left is a Piccadilly line train, the full-size train to the right is a District line train. A train going toward Upminster/Barking/Whitechapel will take you to Tower Hill, where you can do the short walk to Fenchurch Street, or you can change at West Ham, where you just need to cross platforms (over a footbridge or underpass, as it's not cross-platform).

I think the ticket will cost you £8.80 for a ticket from Heathrow Undergd to Laindon (Rte: Upminster)

yeah that's correct according to nfm 06 :)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Or you can change at Barking where there is cross-platform interchange with c2c.
Ah yes, I was forgetting about the layout at Barking, especially as I once had to change there and did not have a cross-platform interchange, however this was for a train that went via Dagenham Dock. It appears to be cross-platform for the main route to Southend via Laindon.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/BKG/plan.html
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Yep they do. Do doors open both sides of the Eastbound District Line for interchange with LO & c2c Eastbound?
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Yep they do. Do doors open both sides of the Eastbound District Line for interchange with LO & c2c Eastbound?
Last time I stayed in Barking they did open both sides.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,570
Ralph- I don't know!

The amount of police programmes I watch, I guess I may have been watching one whilst fiddling with my profile!

Anyway - Back on Topic ;)
 

mister_D

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
6
Wow, I'm impressed with all the feedback! Thank you all.

yorkie, you say I can get from Heathrow to Laindon for just 8.80 pounds. Where can I buy this trip? Should I book it online? Is it any kind of day pass or does it consist in a series of one-way tickets? Because it wouldn't be ideal to have to buy different tickets in different places, of course.
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
A really cannot understand why anyone pays to travel on Heathrow Express.

Just out of interest I looking up the cost of a return to Heathrow for my family (2 adults and 2 children) and it comes to £96.

We flew to Amsterdam last week and the return from Schiphol to Amsterdam Centraal for us all was about £22!

Talk about rip off Britain!!!
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Yep they do. Do doors open both sides of the Eastbound District Line for interchange with LO & c2c Eastbound?

As a native of Barking (long since left that place for nicer ones, but having returned to South Essex still passing through there daily): ALWAYS is the answer.

I definitely don't recommend changing to the c2c eastbound at Upminster if you have the option to change at Barking (or failing that West Ham): if it's an 8-carriage train, at Upminster eastbound it stops at the (very) far end of the platform, leaving a 4-carriage spaced gap from the stairway entrance to the platform; if it's a 4-carriage train, it stops there, where you'd expect it to. But you don't necessarily know which length of train it will be (sometimes the indicators say, but they don't always concur with reality), so you sometimes get people running a third (or more) of the length of the platform to get the end of the train they didn't want anyway. (The place they stop at on the eastbound platform at Laindon is also ridiculous, as you will see - the far end, without fail, whatever length of train)

You've usually got four trains an hour to Laindon off-peak and at weekends, leaving Fenchurch Street at 00, 10, 30 and 40 minutes past each hour. And you can usually set your watch by 'em.
 
Joined
19 May 2010
Messages
514
Location
West Drayton
A really cannot understand why anyone pays to travel on Heathrow Express.

Just out of interest I looking up the cost of a return to Heathrow for my family (2 adults and 2 children) and it comes to £96.

We flew to Amsterdam last week and the return from Schiphol to Amsterdam Centraal for us all was about £22!

Talk about rip off Britain!!!

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If you're a businessman and need to be in London as soon as you come off the plane - £32 thank you, arrive in central London in 15/20 mins. Put an expenses claim in for it.

If you're on holiday, when do I want to be in London? Whenever! £4.50, get to central London in around an hour.

If your heart was really set on using HEx then you could have used promo code HEXA9P on their website and got a return for half the price. Or use it at the weekends and buy a weekender at the ticket office for half price singles.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Wow, I'm impressed with all the feedback! Thank you all.

yorkie, you say I can get from Heathrow to Laindon for just 8.80 pounds. Where can I buy this trip? Should I book it online? Is it any kind of day pass or does it consist in a series of one-way tickets? Because it wouldn't be ideal to have to buy different tickets in different places, of course.
It's just a single, and it appears in NFM06. I don't know what the ticket office situation at Heathrow is, but it would seem daft if they cannot sell that ticket.

The ticket is available from UK ticket booking sites, e.g. http://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk

Anytime Day Single
Origin:Heathrow Undergd
Destination:Laindon
Valid on all services by the route and Train Operator shown. Valid 1 day only.

Estimated journey time is 1 hour 50 minutes, this will be longer if changing at Barking, but that is the easiest interchange.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top