• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German vineyard monorails in the Moselle valley (and elsewhere?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

702

Member
Joined
12 May 2021
Messages
39
Location
Edinburgh
Many years ago I was on holiday in the Moselle valley, western Germany, and I remember that snaking around the vineyards that covered the steep valley walls, were a network of small monorails. Clearly they are for industrial purposes only, but I wondered if anyone knew anything more about them, had any stories, or interesting pictures or videos? And are there others elsewhere? I haven't been able to find too much, but there is this video of a tourist guide(?) talking about them to tourists ( German mono rack wine cart train and tracks on steep Moselle River bank ), a high-speed video on Facebook, and a few pictures below that I've taken from here, and here, and there is a short bit of footage showing someone loading one here (so credit to those websites/photographers).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,774
Japan has loads of them, very small scale often with only a few hundred metres of track on each farm. I saw them on a trip through Japan years ago and tried to find out a bit about them - you can buy your own here! They look to be similar in principle to the photo you linked. There is not a great deal in English about them on the Internet, but searching just now shows that Doppelmayr sell them in Europe
 

yoyothehobo

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2015
Messages
859
i think Tom Scott did a video on them not too long ago (link to tom scott video on the monorails)

 

702

Member
Joined
12 May 2021
Messages
39
Location
Edinburgh
Japan has loads of them, very small scale often with only a few hundred metres of track on each farm. I saw them on a trip through Japan years ago and tried to find out a bit about them - you can buy your own here! They look to be similar in principle to the photo you linked. There is not a great deal in English about them on the Internet, but searching just now shows that Doppelmayr sell them in Europe
Oh wow! Well if I ever end up with far more money than sense I'd happily build one just for fun!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top