• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBR and Staff Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWierdOne

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2020
Messages
410
Location
Yorkshire
I too never ask to sit in first. I find it cringing to do personally. If I do sit in 1st it’s because I’m with my own TOC to which I am entitled but on any other with my dated BR boxes it’s because I’m paying the Weekend 1st upgrade. If then the guard refuses to take my offer of payment then that’s fine and I am totally discreet.
My usual routine is to sit in standard as per my pass and then if/when the guard comes along I discretely ask if I can purchase an upgrade. Many times the guard refuses payment and tells me and my girlfriend to go and find a seat, but if they don’t I’m hardly going to complain about being in a marginally more uncomfortable seat on my train journey which costs either nothing or next to nothing. If it’s too busy to be discrete then I likely wouldn’t ask as it would put the guard in a tricky position.

Also shout out to the one guard who, when he saw my priv, asked why I’d even bothered buying a ticket.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,668
If the staff get back to BR style perks, would that also involve going back to BR style pay as well?
Indeed.

When NR introduced leisure travel (not sure if it's PRIV or not but whatever pass they gave us) it was in lieu of a pay rise effectively to sweeten the deal.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
My usual routine is to sit in standard as per my pass and then if/when the guard comes along I discretely ask if I can purchase an upgrade. Many times the guard refuses payment and tells me and my girlfriend to go and find a seat, but if they don’t I’m hardly going to complain about being in a marginally more uncomfortable seat on my train journey which costs either nothing or next to nothing. If it’s too busy to be discrete then I likely wouldn’t ask as it would put the guard in a tricky position.

Also shout out to the one guard who, when he saw my priv, asked why I’d even bothered buying a ticket.

Yes both have happened many times over the years especially the last bit. Railway Family and all that :wub:
 

co-tr-paul

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2016
Messages
1,253
Location
Helston, Cornwall
A question I'm sure on many railway employee's minds , what is happening regarding the validity of our staff passes under the " nationalisation " process ?
Validi on just our franchise or just our group or on just GBR or valid whole network etc , etc , ?
Union reps don't seem to know .
Any plans in place ?
Hopefully going back to standard BR days validity ?
 

Highlander1

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2025
Messages
179
Location
Inverness
Yet their staff are amongst the most entitled i've ever come across in 20+ years. They expect free travel whenever they get on services and even pile into first class on occasions without even asking. If I, or any of my colleagues are ever refused by LNER staff then all hell will break loose North of the border given how accommodating we are for them.
You're not wrong. Most don't even ask.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top