Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
You may need to wait several weeks or months. Bear in mind that the railway employs a fairly small team to deal with things like this - and you aren't the only person who has run into trouble here.
Hello, I find it a bit strange how they were usually responsive within a day or two but haven’t heard anything of them for like a week now. Do you think perhaps they are investigating my case a bit more?
Hello, I find it a bit strange how they were usually responsive within a day or two but haven’t heard anything of them for like a week now. Do you think perhaps they are investigating my case a bit more?
They’ve already investigated my transactions though? They said they’re currently investigating 154 and I’ve asked for a breakdown off all tickets.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
‘Thank you for your response.
Can you please confirm your home station. From your address I would assume it is Cradley Heath.’
They just replied to me. My home address is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history is from Wolverhampton because my girlfriend lives there and only really use the trains from Wolverhampton. Will they think this is dodgy?
They’ve already investigated my transactions though? They said they’re currently investigating 154 and I’ve asked for a breakdown off all tickets.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
‘Thank you for your response.
Can you please confirm your home station. From your address I would assume it is Cradley Heath.’
They just replied to me. My home address is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history is from Wolverhampton because my girlfriend lives there and only really use the trains from Wolverhampton. Will they think this is dodgy?
My home address is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history is from Wolverhampton because my girlfriend lives there and only really use the trains from Wolverhampton. Will they think this is dodgy?
Thank you for your response and allowing me the opportunity to respond.
I can confirm that my home station is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history involves Wolverhampton station. I suspect that this may look suspicious whilst investigating my transactions.
My partner and child live in Wolverhampton so I would like to keep you informed of this, hence the reason why I travel to and from Wolverhampton a lot. If you need any evidence proving my partner lives in Wolverhampton, I’m happy to provide this.
Do you think I should send something similar to this?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
what do you think I should send? I’ve written this so far:
Thank you for your response and allowing me the opportunity to respond.
I can confirm that my home station is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history involves Wolverhampton station. I suspect that this may look suspicious whilst investigating my transactions.
My partner and child live in Wolverhampton so I would like to keep you informed of this, hence the reason why I travel to and from Wolverhampton a lot. If you need any evidence proving my partner lives in Wolverhampton, I’m happy to provide this.
I’ve had parcels and letters delivered to her address maybe I can show them that?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I’ve been mainly travelling to Birmingham from Wolverhampton, I haven’t travelled from Cradley Heath that much.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you for your response and allowing me the opportunity to respond.
I can confirm that my home station is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history involves Wolverhampton station. I suspect that this may look suspicious whilst investigating my transactions.
My partner and child live in Wolverhampton so I would like to keep you informed of this, hence the reason why I travel to and from Wolverhampton a lot. If you need any evidence proving my partner lives in Wolverhampton, I’m happy to provide this.
Do you think I should send something similar to this?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
what do you think I should send? I’ve written this so far:
Thank you for your response and allowing me the opportunity to respond.
I can confirm that my home station is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history involves Wolverhampton station. I suspect that this may look suspicious whilst investigating my transactions.
My partner and child live in Wolverhampton so I would like to keep you informed of this, hence the reason why I travel to and from Wolverhampton a lot. If you need any evidence proving my partner lives in Wolverhampton, I’m happy to provide this.
I’ve had parcels and letters delivered to her address maybe I can show them that?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I’ve been mainly travelling to Birmingham from Wolverhampton, I haven’t travelled from Cradley Heath that much.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you for your response and allowing me the opportunity to respond.
I can confirm that my home station is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history involves Wolverhampton station. I suspect that this may look suspicious whilst investigating my transactions.
My partner and child live in Wolverhampton so I would like to keep you informed of this, hence the reason why I travel to and from Wolverhampton a lot. If you need any evidence proving my partner lives in Wolverhampton, I’m happy to provide this.
Do you think I should send something similar to this?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
what do you think I should send? I’ve written this so far:
Thank you for your response and allowing me the opportunity to respond.
I can confirm that my home station is Cradley Heath. However, most of my travelling history involves Wolverhampton station. I suspect that this may look suspicious whilst investigating my transactions.
My partner and child live in Wolverhampton so I would like to keep you informed of this, hence the reason why I travel to and from Wolverhampton a lot. If you need any evidence proving my partner lives in Wolverhampton, I’m happy to provide this.
I think I would be more cautious / careful / measured in what I said.
I would not say that Cradley Heath is my home station.
I think something like "Cradley Heath is the station nearest to my home however due to my personal domestic circumstances - I have a partner and child in Wolverhampton - most of my journeys are to / from Wolverhampton." "I can provide evidence of this if required."
I do not think I would use phrases such as " I suspect that this may look suspicious.........." as this just puts in the mind of the person reading it thoughts of wrong doing / fare evasion etc.
I think I would be more cautious / careful / measured in what I said.
I would not say that Cradley Heath is my home station.
I think something like "Cradley Heath is the station nearest to my home however due to my personal domestic circumstances - I have a partner and child in Wolverhampton - most of my journeys are to / from Wolverhampton." "I can provide evidence of this if required."
I do not think I would use phrases such as " I suspect that this may look suspicious.........." as this just puts in the mind of the person reading it thoughts of wrong doing / fare evasion etc.
I don't actually see this as a problem. If travel has been to Birmingham as stated above, then it is more expensive from Wolverhampton than from Cradley Heath so mentioning Wolverhampton only benefits in terms of honesty.
I don't actually see this as a problem. If travel has been to Birmingham as stated above, then it is more expensive from Wolverhampton than from Cradley Heath so mentioning Wolverhampton only benefits in terms of honesty.
I’ve already replied to them and they’ll see my purchase history involves Wolverhampton a lot so I’m guessing they’ll just price the invalid tickets from Wolverhampton anyways.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I think I would be more cautious / careful / measured in what I said.
I would not say that Cradley Heath is my home station.
I think something like "Cradley Heath is the station nearest to my home however due to my personal domestic circumstances - I have a partner and child in Wolverhampton - most of my journeys are to / from Wolverhampton." "I can provide evidence of this if required."
I do not think I would use phrases such as " I suspect that this may look suspicious.........." as this just puts in the mind of the person reading it thoughts of wrong doing / fare evasion etc.
Thank you for your support I’ve based my response on your advice.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you for your response.
After investigating your purchase history, we have highlighted 114 purchases which we believe may be potentially fraudulent, which including our administration costs, totals £930.40. You can find a copy of these transactions attached to this email.
Please in your response choose which option to take.
Option A – To make full payment.
Option B – Have case handed over to the Prosecutions Team and incur further fees.
Option C – Provide evidence in the next 7 days to support your claims.
If choosing option A, the payment details are as follows:
Account Name: WMT Ltd - Digital Prosecutions
Sort Code: 30 80 12
Account Number: 24429068
REF - DFMG88370877
Make sure to put your reference number in so we can link the payment to yourself.
Email us with confirmation of payment being made and once payment has been received, we will send a receipt and close the case down this can take up to 10 business days.
Information we must inform you of; if we have not received an email for payment a gentle reminder may be sent and if a late payment is made you could incur further fees and if no payment is made then the case will be escalated to our prosecutions team.
If you would like to choose option C, please could you provide the following information so that we can remove all legitimate transactions.
16-17 Railcard covering the 17th August 2024
Evidence to support your short journeys, this can be alternative travel receipts or parking meter receipts.
Once received we will review what you have provided and remove legitimate transactions from this investigation and move forward with your case.
Please respond within 7 days.
They just responded to me I can’t afford to pay the £930.40 in one but I can set up a payment plan if they let me what do you guys think I should say to them?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I’ve already replied to them and they’ll see my purchase history involves Wolverhampton a lot so I’m guessing they’ll just price the invalid tickets from Wolverhampton anyways.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you for your support I’ve based my response on your advice.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you for your response.
After investigating your purchase history, we have highlighted 114 purchases which we believe may be potentially fraudulent, which including our administration costs, totals £930.40. You can find a copy of these transactions attached to this email.
Please in your response choose which option to take.
Option A – To make full payment.
Option B – Have case handed over to the Prosecutions Team and incur further fees.
Option C – Provide evidence in the next 7 days to support your claims.
If choosing option A, the payment details are as follows:
Account Name: WMT Ltd - Digital Prosecutions
Sort Code: 30 80 12
Account Number: 24429068
REF - DFMG88370877
Make sure to put your reference number in so we can link the payment to yourself.
Email us with confirmation of payment being made and once payment has been received, we will send a receipt and close the case down this can take up to 10 business days.
Information we must inform you of; if we have not received an email for payment a gentle reminder may be sent and if a late payment is made you could incur further fees and if no payment is made then the case will be escalated to our prosecutions team.
If you would like to choose option C, please could you provide the following information so that we can remove all legitimate transactions.
16-17 Railcard covering the 17th August 2024
Evidence to support your short journeys, this can be alternative travel receipts or parking meter receipts.
Once received we will review what you have provided and remove legitimate transactions from this investigation and move forward with your case.
Please respond within 7 days.
They just responded to me I can’t afford to pay the £930.40 in one but I can set up a payment plan if they let me what do you guys think I should say to them?
Thank you for your letter and the breakdown off all tickets investigated. I've assessed all tickets you provided and believe that most of them are indeed short fared. I'm very sorry for what I did and can assure you this will not happen again.
I accept option A, that I need to pay the full amount of £930.40. However, at this current moment in time I do not have the full amount to pay upfront. Please can we can set up some form of payment plan? If you accept the payment plan, I promise you I will make all payments on time.
I was thinking to send something similar to this what do you guys think?
If you don't ask, you don't get, so no harm asking, but I would not hold my breath. It may be prudent to offer to pay, say, 50% now and the balance over the next three months or something similar; I doubt if they would accept anything later than 3 - 4 months hence, after all, you have had a little while, in theory, to save up for the punishment.
The thing to remember is that they do not specialise in payment plans, so any such arrangement will be 'manual' rather than automatic, so could be more difficult to administer.
If you don't ask, you don't get, so no harm asking, but I would not hold my breath. It may be prudent to offer to pay, say, 50% now and the balance over the next three months or something similar; I doubt if they would accept anything later than 3 - 4 months hence, after all, you have had a little while, in theory, to save up for the punishment.
The thing to remember is that they do not specialise in payment plans, so any such arrangement will be 'manual' rather than automatic, so could be more difficult to administer.
I could pay the whole amount within 2 months 3 at max. I haven’t been working the past few weeks due to 6 weeks holiday because I work in a school and I only get paid when I work.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I could pay the whole amount within 2 months 3 at max. I haven’t been working the past few weeks due to 6 weeks holiday because I work in a school and I only get paid when I work.
Thank you for your letter and the breakdown off all tickets investigated. I've examined all tickets you provided and believe that most of them are indeed short fared. I'm very sorry for what I did and can assure you this will not happen again.
I accept option A, that I need to pay the full amount of £930.40. However, at this current moment in time I do not have the full amount to pay upfront. Please can we can set up a payment plan? It would be much appreciated and I could pay the whole amount within 2-3 months.
I could pay the whole amount within 2 months 3 at max. I haven’t been working the past few weeks due to 6 weeks holiday because I work in a school and I only get paid when I work.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Thank you for your letter and the breakdown off all tickets investigated. I've examined all tickets you provided and believe that most of them are indeed short fared. I'm very sorry for what I did and can assure you this will not happen again.
I accept option A, that I need to pay the full amount of £930.40. However, at this current moment in time I do not have the full amount to pay upfront. Please can we can set up a payment plan? It would be much appreciated and I could pay the whole amount within 2-3 months.
It may be worth one more short sentence to explain the bit in bold italics - ie its the timing of the issue falling in the six week holidays that means you can't pay quicker - that might reassure them that you won't default
It may be worth one more short sentence to explain the bit in bold italics - ie its the timing of the issue falling in the six week holidays that means you can't pay quicker - that might reassure them that you won't default
It may be worth one more short sentence to explain the bit in bold italics - ie its the timing of the issue falling in the six week holidays that means you can't pay quicker - that might reassure them that you won't default
Thank you for your letter and the breakdown of all tickets investigated. I've examined all tickets you provided and believe that most of them are indeed short fared. I'm very sorry for what I did and can assure you this will not happen again.
I accept option A, that I need to pay the full amount of £930.40. However, at this current moment in time I do not have the full amount to pay upfront. Please can we can set up a payment plan? It would be much appreciated and I could pay the whole amount within 2-3 months. This is due to the timing of the issue, as it has occurred during the six-week holiday school period and I work in a school. I will not receive my next salary payment until September.
Thank you for your consideration. Again, please accept my sincere apologies.
Is that better?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Hi everyone they accepted a 4month payment plan however I don’t have a utility bill or letter due to my address being in my mothers name as I live with my mom. Can I show proof a different way?
Please note and to reiterate we are not a bank or loan company, so we do not work in the same way, however we can offer a 4-month payment plan if an agreement is signed and agreed by you.
To go into a payment plan with us, we must inform you of the following.
If you are going to be late in making a payment, please inform us before the due to date to avoid triggering the account and we can talk with you on how to resolve this issue.
Late payment fees of £12.50 will be added to any payments made after the agreed dates.
We ask that you email after each payment is made to avoid gentle reminders being sent.
Failure to make payment will cause your case to go to our Prosecutions team and you will incur further fees.
We need to stay within communication and make sure your case is not escalated to our prosecutions team, we are not a credit company and so communication is key to keep all records updated, and we have the right to pull back on this agreement if these terms and conditions are not met on your part at any time.
If you wish to be placed into a payment plan agreement, we will need you to provide a copy of your identification that shows your:
Name and Date of Birth,
A utility bill from the last 3 months showing your name and address,
(these will be removed from your case file once your last payment has been received).
Please have these sent via email in the next 7 days so they can be added to your agreement, we will then send the agreement to be signed by you.
When you receive the payment plan agreement in full, please sign and date the agreement and return to West Midlands Trains in a picture form via the email address digitalfraudteam@wmtrains.co.uk.
Once received your payment plan will be reviewed. We must inform you of our process, as refusal of any of these steps will make this payment plan not possible and we will have no choice but to hand you case over to the prosecutions team.
Please respond within 7 days from the date of this email to avoid further escalation.
The company obviously want to ensure that you live at the address quoted, and a utility bill, relating to the property quoted, and since it relates to a service provided at that property, it is usually a better confirmation of an address than say a bank statement or mobile phone bill.
Does your mum share your surname? If so, it may be possible to send a copy of a utility bill in her name, thus fixing someone sharing your surname to that address, plus something in your name, maybe a driving licence, showing the same address. If that is possible, send a note with these explaining why you have done it. Alternatively, is there a number you can ring to explain the situation.
[As an aside, all my utility bills are in my name, and it has been difficult for my wife to prove her address when trying to sell a property. You may find it similarly difficult if you try to buy a property. Is a solution to ask your mum to put, say, the Council Tax bill, in your name, although she continues to pay it? It does run the risk that you would be liable if she defaults, or if she ever becomes entitled to a Council Tax exemption, it may be difficult to claim. Maybe worth a thought.]
Does your payslip include your address? I would be tempted to try to ring them; if you don't have a telephone number, others on this forum might have the details, or try searching this forum.
As an alternative, do you have a few proof of address documents? If so, you may need to supply a selection to them. Does your Railcard account include your address - that may be another potential source.
Thank you for responding and accepting the payment plan.
Regarding the utility bill request in my name, I do not have proof of this due to the property address being in my mother’s name. However, I am able to show alternative documentations to verify my residency at the stated address. I can provide bank statements, payslips within the last three months and other documents if required.
Before you send a payslip I would get in touch with them, explain you aren't a householder and therefore don't have utility bills in your name (this isn't that uncommon) and give a list of what proof of address you can provide and ask them which they want to see
Before you send a payslip I would get in touch with them, explain you aren't a householder and therefore don't have utility bills in your name (this isn't that uncommon) and give a list of what proof of address you can provide and ask them which they want to see
Thanks for your advice.
Do you think I should send something like this then?
Thank you for responding and accepting the payment plan.
Regarding the utility bill request in my name, I do not have proof of this due to the property address being in my mother’s name. However, I am able to show alternative documentations to verify my residency at the stated address. I can provide bank statements, payslips within the last three months and other documents if required.
Thanks for your advice.
Do you think I should send something like this then?
Thank you for responding and accepting the payment plan.
Regarding the utility bill request in my name, I do not have proof of this due to the property address being in my mother’s name. However, I am able to show alternative documentations to verify my residency at the stated address. I can provide bank statements, payslips within the last three months and other documents if required.
As I said, tell them what you can provide. "Other documents" doesn't tell them anything useful. Work out what they all are, and list them, and ask them to choose which they want to see.
As I said, tell them what you can provide. "Other documents" doesn't tell them anything useful. Work out what they all are, and list them, and ask them to choose which they want to see.
. . .It might be worth while getting your Mum to sign a short letter stating the house is in her name with all the bills in her name but you have lived here since (insert date) and I confirm the address Mr. . . . provides is correct.
. . .e.g. :–
"I, Mrs. . . am the mother of Mr. . .
and I confirm that Mr. . . has lived continuously at this address since (date) and that I am the House owner and bills are in my name.
. . .The Documents Mr. . . is including with his request for a Payment Plan show the correct address.
. . .It might be worth while getting your Mum to sign a short letter stating the house is in her name with all the bills in her name but you have lived here since (insert date) and I confirm the address Mr. . . . provides is correct.
. . .e.g. :–
"I, Mrs. . . am the mother of Mr. . .
and I confirm that Mr. . . has lived continuously at this address since (date) and that I am the House owner and bills are in my name.
. . .The Documents Mr. . . is including with his request for a Payment Plan show the correct address.
. . .For now wait for their response – if they accept what you've offered you should be "good to go" regarding a payment plan, if they ask for additional documents that would be a good time to send a short letter along the lines of the above from your Mum with them!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
. . .I would get a letter from your Mum prepared and signed along the lines of what I suggested ready – if you've not had a response from W.M.T. within 48 h maximum (taking into account the seven days they've allowed!) to your latest email, scan a copy of your Mum's signed letter and email it to them promptly along with further copies of anything else that evidences your address – do you have a scanner?
. . .If you've only a phone, take photographs of the documents and add a note to say you can follow them up with copies by post from your local copy place or library later!
. . .(Anyone who regularly deals with organisations like councils, utilities, T.O.C.'s, parking shysters, etc., etc., is well advised to have a PC and a scanner, or one of those hand–held scanner things that you can Bluetooth to a phone you can feed sheets of paper between !)
. . .For now wait for their response – if they accept what you've offered you should be "good to go" regarding a payment plan, if they ask for additional documents that would be a good time to send a short letter along the lines of the above from your Mum with them!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
. . .I would get a letter from your Mum prepared and signed along the lines of what I suggested ready – if you've not had a response from W.M.T. within 48 h maximum (taking into account the seven days they've allowed!) to your latest email, scan a copy of your Mum's signed letter and email it to them promptly along with further copies of anything else that evidences your address – do you have a scanner?
. . .If you've only a phone, take photographs of the documents and add a note to say you can follow them up with copies by post from your local copy place or library later!
. . .(Anyone who regularly deals with organisations like councils, utilities, T.O.C.'s, parking shysters, etc., etc., is well advised to have a PC and a scanner, or one of those hand–held scanner things that you can Bluetooth to a phone you can feed sheets of paper between !)
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.