• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom pass misuse- requisition to attend court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,912
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Is this not dead simple? Just go through the journeys, categorise them all, and then truthfully say that X journeys were you, Y may have been, and Z weren't. TIC is basically just a way to make it impossible for TfL to prosecute you for the other offences, for the "price" of a slightly higher fine (in theory) and extra compensation to TfL (this bit actually will happen). They don't have evidence of Z (because you didn't do them) and imo are highly unlikely to prosecute any Y that are you (as we've not seen them do that, and you've cooperated etc). Now that you've accepted that you are going to be prosecuted, I wouldn't really be worried about the rest of it, it'll probably take about 2 minutes and be surprisingly un-intimidating.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
"I didn't make all of these journeys because other family members were also misusing the Freedom Pass" isn't going to sound good in court.
“I don't think the majority of them are not mine”, (as written in the opening post), includes quite an unfortunate double negative that actually makes it mean “I think the majority of them are mine”.

Forum members might think this is being pedantic, but what’s important is how TFL or a court would interpret it?
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,341
“I don't think the majority of them are not mine”, (as written in the opening post), includes quite an unfortunate double negative that actually makes it mean “I think the majority of them are mine”.

Forum members might think this is being pedantic, but what’s important is how TFL or a court would interpret it?
As I understand it, what the OP will return to the court is the schedule with the journeys that they accept they made ticked. Obviously the OP needs to complete this honestly, but the more that are accepted the bigger the fine (etc.): against this, the less that are accepted the more chance that TfL will come back for another look at the others and maybe take them to court later.

But the practical upshot is that how the OP worded things in their original post won't impact on what the court gets to see.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
As I understand it, what the OP will return to the court is the schedule with the journeys that they accept they made ticked. Obviously the OP needs to complete this honestly, but the more that are accepted the bigger the fine (etc.): against this, the less that are accepted the more chance that TfL will come back for another look at the others and maybe take them to court later.

But the practical upshot is that how the OP worded things in their original post won't impact on what the court gets to see.
Yes I’d probably have been better saying the OP shouldn’t make the same statement in future when it might matter.
 

miskytrout

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2025
Messages
11
Location
London
Update: Attended the court summons today. I pleaded guilty and admitted to the offences I was guilty for. The judges decided on a fine of £795, which will be paid over instalments of £200 at the start of every month. It also helped that before I went into the court, one of the people representing TFL called me into a room. He told me they were reducing the number of offences from 102 to 83 as some of the journeys were outdated.

Thank you all for the advice, it helped to be prepared attire-wise and to bring copies of the documents! It was very stressful, but also didn’t last as long as I thought it would.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,341
Update: Attended the court summons today. I pleaded guilty and admitted to the offences I was guilty for. The judges decided on a fine of £795, which will be paid over instalments of £200 at the start of every month. It also helped that before I went into the court, one of the people representing TFL called me into a room. He told me they were reducing the number of offences from 102 to 83 as some of the journeys were outdated.

Thank you all for the advice, it helped to be prepared attire-wise and to bring copies of the documents! It was very stressful, but also didn’t last as long as I thought it would.
Thanks for letting us know. Not cheap, but for the offences that you have admitted to, that's the end of it (once you have paid off the £795).
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,383
Update: Attended the court summons today. I pleaded guilty and admitted to the offences I was guilty for. The judges decided on a fine of £795, which will be paid over instalments of £200 at the start of every month. It also helped that before I went into the court, one of the people representing TFL called me into a room. He told me they were reducing the number of offences from 102 to 83 as some of the journeys were outdated.

Thank you all for the advice, it helped to be prepared attire-wise and to bring copies of the documents! It was very stressful, but also didn’t last as long as I thought it would.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you worked hard to make the best of a difficult situation given what had been involved in your case.

Appreciate the update as many TfL prosecution cases don’t get updated after court action. That will help other people in future I think.

I think you did your best to approach this in the way you did to try and minimise the impact of things so credit to you for that.

Good luck with things going forwards.
 

Ana246

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2025
Messages
44
Location
Greenwich
Update: Attended the court summons today. I pleaded guilty and admitted to the offences I was guilty for. The judges decided on a fine of £795, which will be paid over instalments of £200 at the start of every month. It also helped that before I went into the court, one of the people representing TFL called me into a room. He told me they were reducing the number of offences from 102 to 83 as some of the journeys were outdated.

Thank you all for the advice, it helped to be prepared attire-wise and to bring copies of the documents! It was very stressful, but also didn’t last as long as I thought it would.
Did they state anything about criminal record etc? Or anything related in this manner?
 

flitwickbeds

Member
Joined
19 Apr 2017
Messages
774
Did they state anything about criminal record etc? Or anything related in this manner?
As has been repeatedly explained to you in your own thread, pleading (or being found) guilty in a court case will result in you having a criminal record.

In cases like these they become spent after a year.

How a criminal record affects someone is entirely dependant on their circumstances. You have already been given advice on this in your own thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top