• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fraud investigation for possible short fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

enyoueffsea

On Moderation
Joined
26 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
East Midlands
I think there seems to be an assumption on this thread that I’m a man, I’m not a man I’m a woman under 30.

I’ve re-read this thread and cannot seen any assumption of this.

So certain JQ parking + a one stop train or tram ticket is definitely cheaper and less stressful than parking in the city centre.

As others have said, you’ll be able to evidence this really easily with your parking receipts from JQ. Unless you’re about to tell us you only pay in cash for your parking?

Although it’s now immaterial as you have accepted in your response to the TOC you have been short fairing.

And yes I have also short fared to get through barriers.

It’s been answered before but claiming you only short fared on x number of fares, rather than the total is extremely unlikely.

“Usually I just short fare from JQ to Birmingham to get through the barriers but on these occasions I’ve done the honourable thing and drove all the way to JQ and purchased a ticket correctly”… you must see how silly that sounds?

I was looking for legitimate advice based on what the next steps in this process are and also queried whether or not the emails are from a human or auto/bot generated.

And that is the advice you have given. Unfortunately, your story does contain holes (as above) and it’s important these are discussed otherwise you would have potentially gone back to the TOC incorrectly and exasperated the matter.

If we question it, an Investigator that deals with these daily and sees the exact same excuses given for their unusual buying habits are also likely to question it.

Not being honest with them can be a trigger for a prosecution rather than settlement offer.

You may not like the advice or questions offered to you, but it’s certainly correct.

I have responded to the Digital Fraud team to say all of the listed transactions excluding ones to and from Stourbridge Junction will be short fare evasion along with my sincerest apologies, confirmation I have since bought flexi passes and intend to get a railcard after payday to get cheaper journeys through legitimate means and have requested given my full cooperation and that this is the first time I’ve been investigated can we please settle this outside of court.

Which is the advice you were given on here and the correct thing to do in the circumstances. You should get a settlement offer through, I would expect.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bulldog123

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2025
Messages
16
Location
stourbridge
I agree and that is the thinking behind some Park and Ride schemes. However JQ doesn’t have a big car park for commuters
There’s an abundance of parking in JQ, here’s 2 pics I’ve just taken right now outside the station with plenty of spaces in a small vicinity, as I go to board the train from JQ to snow hill to meet my brother at his office next to snow hill to get a lift from him to our parents in Staffordshire :) how crazy and insane of me to do such a journey
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3436.jpeg
    IMG_3436.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3435.jpeg
    IMG_3435.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 134

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,320
There’s an abundance of parking in JQ, here’s 2 pics I’ve just taken right now outside the station with plenty of spaces in a small vicinity, as I go to board the train from JQ to snow hill to meet my brother at his office next to snow hill to get a lift from him to our parents in Staffordshire :) how crazy and insane of me to do such a journey
If you've driven today, I do hope you're not going to Staffordshire for too long: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20109/parking/413/street_parking/4 tells us

Jewellery Quarter zone charges and hours of operation​

Charging hours are Monday to Saturday, 8:00am to 6:00pm, except Christmas Day and bank holidays.
If you display your Blue Badge, parking is free at pay and display on-street parking bays (with no time limits).
There is a mix of 2 hours and 4 hours maximum parking time bays - you cannot return to the same parking place within 2 hours of leaving
(my italics for emphasis)

If you're more than 4 (or 2) hours you may be at risk of a parking ticket to add to your other woes.
 

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,331
Location
Nottingham
There’s an abundance of parking in JQ, here’s 2 pics I’ve just taken right now outside the station with plenty of spaces in a small vicinity, as I go to board the train from JQ to snow hill to meet my brother at his office next to snow hill to get a lift from him to our parents in Staffordshire :) how crazy and insane of me to do such a journey
A few on-street parking spaces somewhat near to a railway station? Personally I wouldn't call that an abundance, have you ever seen a Park & Ride?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If you've driven today, I do hope you're not going to Staffordshire for too long: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20109/parking/413/street_parking/4 tells us

(my italics for emphasis)

If you're more than 4 (or 2) hours you may be at risk of a parking ticket to add to your other woes.
Oh dear, I suppose the OP has lots of parking tickets to prove that they parked at Jewelery Quarter then, should be more simple to resolve in that case :lol:
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,544
Location
LBK
Sometimes saying as little as possible works to one's own benefit. Especially when you're on a part of the internet where people know their stuff.
 

bulldog123

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2025
Messages
16
Location
stourbridge
Picture 2 shows 2hr limit on the lamp column opposite!!

Woah guys!!!! Please calm down, far too much passion over an example of empty parking spaces. I hadn’t driven, my brother dropped me off in the morning for work, (me in JQ, him in a building right next to snow hill) I then walked approx 2 mins from my office to JQ station, took those lovely photos, blinked a few times, picked my nose, got the train to snow hill to meet him at his office to get in his car to drive to Staffordshire. And in the evening he drove us both back to our humble abodes in glorious Stourbridge upon the River Stour. And no I did not get the tram, because snow hill is closer to his office.

Anyway, I have been offered an out of court settlement of £272.90 (£150 admin fee plus £122.90 in short fares) unfortunately 5 of the 16 listed journeys had 2 tickets on them but as it’s my partners birthday tomorrow I’ll fork the bill, there’s also 1 journey from 2022 with “no HM Forces Railcard” as the comment, we did have a HM Forces Railcard at the time which I have a photo of and we would have been travelling together, but for the sake of £5.40 and getting this closed I’m just going to let it be.
Lesson learnt from this… only buy your own tickets or it’ll cost you extra when your criminal activities are exposed… joking, lesson learnt from this is don’t commit fraud.
Hopefully their services will improve now they’ve had my money, in the words of Ian Beale “I’ve got nothing left” :’( (another joke)
Anyway I’m rambling now so will be off on my way, wonder how much of a run up I’d need to jump the barriers at Snow Hill.
If anyone in the future reading this wants a copy of what I put in my email let me know :)
 

bulldog123

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2025
Messages
16
Location
stourbridge
Also would like to say a big thanks to @Fawkes Cat , you genuinely seem like an extremely lovely person from what I’ve seen on mine and other peoples threads, I hope you always get good karma :)
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Probably a good place to park this for now.

@bulldog123 - please report this post if you wish to update us at some point.

Thanks everyone
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top