• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail football special to Sandhills

JBuchananGB

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2017
Messages
1,405
Location
Southport
Today (19 September) I turned up at St. Michael's station on Merseyside at about 13.55 to travel to Birkdale (on the return half of an off-peak day return Birkdale to Halewood).

The departure display in the ticket hall showed the next train as the 14:02 to Ormskirk. When I reached the platform the display there said the next train would be the 13:58 to Sandhills. I boarded this train, travelled to Sandhills to change for the Southport service.

The train I had used then departed out of service in the direction of Kirkdale. Sandhills was heaving with security people/stewards and every train coming in was disgorging hundreds of people for the match Everton against Ipswich.

Out of curiosity, I later looked on Real Time Trains to find out what was going on. But that train, the 13:58 from St. Michael's to Sandhills does not appear. I didn't know MerseyRail ran football specials, and I don't know why they don't show on RTT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,863
Location
Liverpool, UK
As the Hunts Cross to Ormskirk service is booked for 4-car trains extra non timetabled services are probably put on as crowd shifters.

Your train would almost certainly have started at Liverpool South Parkway were there is a crossover, the line past there to Hunts Cross being single track from Hunts Cross West Junction.
 

Top