bramling
Veteran Member
I’ve never heard of redundant signals being reused, except rarities on preserved railways, and some components into spares (ef certain tyoes of signal heads).
To put it in context, a resignalling project with 200 new signals might cost £200m pounds, but the materials cost of the actual signals (post and signal head) will be, at the very most, 1% of that. Driver briefing and training will cost more.
LT certainly used to re-use old signals during resignalling projects. If you look at something like the Bakerloo, resignalled in the late 80s, most of the signal heads are much older than that. Same applies on a lot of the Piccadilly Line.
I’m not sure of the extent to which signals were retained in situ where practicable versus parts going into store, being refurbished, and installed in new schemes.
This generally stopped in the 1990s, the Central Line used new signal heads, although many old ones were retained as part of the interim stage works.
I think I also remember that the rushed interim signalling scheme on the Jubilee Line Extension re-used old train stops.
Presumably a lot removed during the various PPP-era line upgrade schemes has gone in the bin, though amazingly there’s still a few old signal heads left redundant in situ for over a decade now. Quite poor really, as it’s asking for problems if any part of the structure corrodes.