• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ferry from Algeciras to Tangier

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
Anyone had recent experience of taking the ferry to Morocco?

Tangier Med is quite far away from Tangier itself but apparently there is a bus.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thames99

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2023
Messages
333
Location
Reading
I've not done it for a long time, but as usual Seat61 has lots of info.

He recommends getting a ferry from Tarifa rather than Algeciras as they still go to the town port in Tangier. There are free connecting buses from Algeciras for these ferries.

If you do end up in Tangier-Med there is indeed a bus to the town which he quotes a fare of 25Dh about 2.50 Euros.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
I've not done it for a long time, but as usual Seat61 has lots of info.

He recommends getting a ferry from Tarifa rather than Algeciras as they still go to the town port in Tangier. There are free connecting buses from Algeciras for these ferries.

If you do end up in Tangier-Med there is indeed a bus to the town which he quotes a fare of 25Dh about 2.50 Euros.
I was thinking the bus ride from Tangier Med would be quite interesting, and the ferries are bigger with open decks.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,190
Location
Wilmslow
Note that there are no trains running to Algeciras currently - you'll have to endure rail replacement buses from Antequera Santa Ana. This is expected to last into 2027 - the precise date for reopening has (so far) not been announced.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
Note that there are no trains running to Algeciras currently - you'll have to endure rail replacement buses from Antequera Santa Ana. This is expected to last into 2027 - the precise date for reopening has (so far) not been announced.
I just clocked that. AVE to Antequera and then a bus.
 

Metrider

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2025
Messages
26
Location
Pinner
I've not done it for a long time, but as usual Seat61 has lots of info.

He recommends getting a ferry from Tarifa rather than Algeciras as they still go to the town port in Tangier. There are free connecting buses from Algeciras for these ferries.

If you do end up in Tangier-Med there is indeed a bus to the town which he quotes a fare of 25Dh about 2.50 Euros.
I got the ferry from Tarifa to Tangier years ago. First off, Tarifa seemed like a much nicer town than Algeciras (we came from Gibraltar and had to change buses there). Secondly, as you say, the ferry goes to Tangier proper rather than Tangier Med. Personally, I'd rather take the bus ride on the Spanish side, but to each their own.

The ferry ride itself was a real trip! The water was very choppy, and people were throwing up all over the place. They also did immigration and stamped your passport at a little table on the ferry. This was good, as it meant you could just walk straight off the ferry and out of the port when you arrived in Tangier, but it wasn't really explained and queuing was a little chaotic (especially with the boat pitching back and forth!).
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
I got the ferry from Tarifa to Tangier years ago. First off, Tarifa seemed like a much nicer town than Algeciras (we came from Gibraltar and had to change buses there). Secondly, as you say, the ferry goes to Tangier proper rather than Tangier Med. Personally, I'd rather take the bus ride on the Spanish side, but to each their own.

The ferry ride itself was a real trip! The water was very choppy, and people were throwing up all over the place. They also did immigration and stamped your passport at a little table on the ferry. This was good, as it meant you could just walk straight off the ferry and out of the port when you arrived in Tangier, but it wasn't really explained and queuing was a little chaotic (especially with the boat pitching back and forth!).
I took the ferry from Tarifa to Tangier Ville. I travelled with Balearia on one of there fast ferries.

The coach ride from Algerciras to Tarfia was pretty scenic. Yes, as soon as we boarded the ferry people were queuing to get their passport stamped on the ferry.
 

DLRfan1

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2023
Messages
41
Location
London
I did Tangiers Med to Algeciras after the AFCON semi-final this year. Taxi drivers drive at break neck speeds along what’s otherwise a lovely coastal road. Hard to take in the views when I’m fearing for my life. The ferry itself was decent, although it definitely felt that foot passengers were an inconvenience both for the ferry company, and for the border staff.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
I did Tangiers Med to Algeciras after the AFCON semi-final this year. Taxi drivers drive at break neck speeds along what’s otherwise a lovely coastal road. Hard to take in the views when I’m fearing for my life. The ferry itself was decent, although it definitely felt that foot passengers were an inconvenience both for the ferry company, and for the border staff.
The difference in driving standards between Spain and Morocco was quite stark. Seen 3 accidents in my short time there and 2 on route to the airport at Tangier.

There is plenty of local buses in Tangier but figuring out where they stop was a challenge as not all stops were marked. I took the bus from Tangier Ville Station to airport and the taxi drivers hound you as you wait for the airport bus.
 

Paul AC

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2025
Messages
242
Location
Timperley
As an alternative: after the 2023 BLS tour in Morocco, I wanted to visit the Alicante area of Spain. The easiest/quickest/cheapest way was to fly from Tetouan to Alicante. This involved a one-hour bus ride from outside Tangier station which took me to the centre of Tetouan; then a 10-minute local taxi ride to the airport. Details on my web site at https://www.steane.com/index.php/ov...to-morocco-and-spain-autumn-2023#D-2023-10-07
 

Top