Have fares routed 00318 "via METROLINK CTLZ" been re-routed to 00312 "via Manchester"?
I have tried various examples of fares which I know which previously had route code 318, but now have route code 312
I think the wording on the TfGM website may have changed, as I think it used to say tickets had to be routed via Manchester Ctlz, but now reads as follows:
tfgm.com
Does anyone know exactly when this changed, what the rationale between the change is, and how inspectors are supposed to know if both the origin and destination are both within Greater Manchester? Or maybe they now look for "via Manchester" and accept any ticket with that routeing (even if the origin and/or destination are outside Greater Manchester)
I understand from certain sources that in reality Metrolink inspectors accept any rail ticket with validity via Manchester, rather than trying to figure out if both the origin and destination are both within Greater Manchester.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this!
I have tried various examples of fares which I know which previously had route code 318, but now have route code 312
I think the wording on the TfGM website may have changed, as I think it used to say tickets had to be routed via Manchester Ctlz, but now reads as follows:
Train and tram return combined peak ticket (adult)
You can buy tickets that combine Metrolink tram trips with Greater Manchester train journeys, instead of getting two separate tickets
You can also travel on Metrolink in zone 1 (See tram map) at no extra cost if you have one of the following tickets:
- The destination on your train ticket is “Manchester Central Zone” (MANCHESTER CTLZ). This is available for train tickets from anywhere in Greater Manchester into Manchester city centre.
- A train ticket from and to any Greater Manchester train station, where you need to change between city centre stations within Metrolink Zone 1 (See tram map). You can use the tram to change between the two city centre train stations for no extra cost.
The cost of the ticket depends on how far you're travelling.
Does anyone know exactly when this changed, what the rationale between the change is, and how inspectors are supposed to know if both the origin and destination are both within Greater Manchester? Or maybe they now look for "via Manchester" and accept any ticket with that routeing (even if the origin and/or destination are outside Greater Manchester)
I understand from certain sources that in reality Metrolink inspectors accept any rail ticket with validity via Manchester, rather than trying to figure out if both the origin and destination are both within Greater Manchester.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this!

Last edited: