• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fare letter Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinks

New Member
Joined
12 Jul 2024
Messages
2
Location
Flitwick
Hi forum members

I was short faring for my journey on a Thamelink train from Flitwick to City Thameslink in July when approached by a revenue inspector. This has happened on the 3 prior instances at a time I was having some difficulties and I regret making this decision which has put me in this situation. I have followed some threads which have advised to post a proposed response when a letter is received. The letter I received is attached and the response i have drafted is below, I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. I am really scared and haven't had much sleep about how this could turn out and a criminal record which i never imagined would ever be the case. Please assist, thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in response to your letter dated 11 July, and thank you for the opportunity to respond on this which is something I have been reflecting on.

On this date I was travelling with a ticket that was not valid for the duration of my journey when approached by the revenue inspector, for this I sincerely apologise. Myself like many others rely on rail transport network and it is my responsibility to ensure that I always have an appropriate ticket one which covers the journey that I am traveling. I let some circumstances affect my decisions which is something I regret very deeply. I have learnt from this experience, and I can assure you this will not happen again. Ever since this day I have made sure that I have a correct ticket for my travel.

I would be grateful if you can allow me to compensate the company for any loss of revenues during my travel and any administrations costs incurred in relation to this in an out of court settlement. For transparency’s sake, I would like to flag all prior instances affected which are the following days:
  • 18 June
  • 21 June
  • 25 June
I look forward to your consideration and response.

Kind regards,
 

Attachments

  • Rail.jpg
    Rail.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,342
Hi forum members

I was short faring for my journey on a Thamelink train from Flitwick to City Thameslink in July when approached by a revenue inspector. This has happened on the 3 prior instances at a time I was having some difficulties and I regret making this decision which has put me in this situation. I have followed some threads which have advised to post a proposed response when a letter is received. The letter I received is attached and the response i have drafted is below, I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. I am really scared and haven't had much sleep about how this could turn out and a criminal record which i never imagined would ever be the case. Please assist, thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in response to your letter dated 11 July, and thank you for the opportunity to respond on this which is something I have been reflecting on.

On this date I was travelling with a ticket that was not valid for the duration of my journey when approached by the revenue inspector, for this I sincerely apologise. Myself like many others rely on rail transport network and it is my responsibility to ensure that I always have an appropriate ticket one which covers the journey that I am traveling. I let some circumstances affect my decisions which is something I regret very deeply. I have learnt from this experience, and I can assure you this will not happen again. Ever since this day I have made sure that I have a correct ticket for my travel.

I would be grateful if you can allow me to compensate the company for any loss of revenues during my travel and any administrations costs incurred in relation to this in an out of court settlement. For transparency’s sake, I would like to flag all prior instances affected which are the following days:
  • 18 June
  • 21 June
  • 25 June
I look forward to your consideration and response.

Kind regards,
I think that’s fine: it could be fine tuned, but to my mind it shows that you now know that you shouldn’t do this again.

The railway haven’t asked you about previous occasions so you don’t have to mention them, but if you talk about it now, that should get the matter out of the way.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
I think the letter is ok. Please let us know how you get on.
 

jinks

New Member
Joined
12 Jul 2024
Messages
2
Location
Flitwick
Hi thank you all for your support. I have received an out of court settlement of £78 which in my case is/very close to the revenue lost on my instances of travel. I am glad this has come to an end, will take forward the lessons learnt from this!
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
Thanks for letting us know. That’s a decent result all things considered.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top