I was using a fake railcard on the train and got caught. He took a picture of every journey I’ve ever taken ( in the past year around 30, trains mostly taken from Bath —> Oxford, and back, and to London. Took my postcode and said I’d receive a letter in the mail. I’ve seen people get fined up to £3000. I’m a 19 year old uni student and can’t afford it. What do I do? I know its only 30 quid and it was a stupid thoughtless decision. Please be nice I’m already stressed. I want to contact them to explain myself beforehand but I don't know where to reach them (as in I don't know whether to contact trainline or the rail company). I've seen some people write mitigation letters.
Do not contact them to try and explain yourself before they contact you. This is very important. Using a forged railcard is a serious offence as it is clearly a pre meditated form of fare evasion. So you must not unintentionally incriminate yourself by trying to write to them now.
Wait for them to contact you. Usually by hard copy post so check your post every day as well as your e mail and spam.
Then head back here for advice on how best to reply.
And / or ask your university student union advice service if they have an arrangement with a solicitor that gives you free help / advice on how to deal with this.
It should be possible to avoid prosecution with help from here but you need to be prepared to pay the full fare for all travel you bought with the forged railcard. This will not be cheap so start saving for that or have an honest conversation with your family about borrowing the money. They will likely want to support you through this.
It will be the rail company that stopped you who will write to you. Trainline will not be involved. But as I say do not contact the railway company until they contact you.
You won’t get fined up to £3000. If they agree not to prosecute you they will want the fares you have evaded paying. You can work out that total yourself and see if it is more r less than £3k. It is the value of what they regard as you have stolen from them that you will need to pay, essentially.