william.martin
On Moderation
Good evening everybody (or whatever equivalent it is for when you read this.) After reading al78's post on the "[Train Company] Apologizes for the Delay/Cancellation" thread, I decided to research further from the article he posted Here
So after doing more research I found this, an article by the guardian:
And this:

Here is the link to the website.
Anyway, the amount of delays has rised since last year which means one thing: the railways are getting worse, and I want to know why, what are TOCS doing wrong? Why are people (certainly myself) being put off using the railway for there commute?
Well, you could argue that strikes are partially the cause however the main point about this thread is about the other multitudes of potential delay causes that are on the rise and here is the big question?
WHAT ARE THE RAILWAYS DOING SO MUCH WORSE AT THAN PREVIOUS YEARS?
So surely there must be a reason other than the strikes and I (and hopefully at least 1 or 2 other forum users) would like to know the answer.
In my mind if the railways get any more unreliable people shall simply use the car or coach.
So what are the railways doing wrong and is it a avoidable problem as far as TOC's are concerned (obviously things like sick leave and the careers available not being popular are classed as "unavoidable disruption")
However after a few scrolls through RTT at Euston I found the following causes for cancellation today (30/12/22)
1 train fault.
5 "issue with train crew"
1 Due to over running engineering works (showed as due to late arrival of inbound service)
2 Severe flooding.
4 Late running.
1 Signalling failure.
1 Unknown.
2 Temporary speed restriction due to temperature of the track.
Total cancellations: 17
Please note that I have not included the duplicate delay reason as the trains did run to the same destination at the same time and via the same places but was duplicate on the system, these were all Avanti voyager services.
So here is the second main question:
WHAT ARE THE RAILWAYS GOING TO DO TO SOLVE THIS ALL TO COMMON ISSUE?
A reply would be greatly appreciated as maybe NR already have a master plan and it has just gone by without me noticing, if not I would like to know your thoughts on the matter.
Kind regards, Will.
Explanation of acronyms:
URL = Uniform resource locator.
TOC = Train operating company.
RTT = Real time trains (website/ app)
NR = National rail
Thanks and credit for resources and information:
Users: @al78
Websites: Guardian, Yahoo
So after doing more research I found this, an article by the guardian:
And this:
Here is the link to the website.
Anyway, the amount of delays has rised since last year which means one thing: the railways are getting worse, and I want to know why, what are TOCS doing wrong? Why are people (certainly myself) being put off using the railway for there commute?
Well, you could argue that strikes are partially the cause however the main point about this thread is about the other multitudes of potential delay causes that are on the rise and here is the big question?
WHAT ARE THE RAILWAYS DOING SO MUCH WORSE AT THAN PREVIOUS YEARS?
So surely there must be a reason other than the strikes and I (and hopefully at least 1 or 2 other forum users) would like to know the answer.
In my mind if the railways get any more unreliable people shall simply use the car or coach.
So what are the railways doing wrong and is it a avoidable problem as far as TOC's are concerned (obviously things like sick leave and the careers available not being popular are classed as "unavoidable disruption")
However after a few scrolls through RTT at Euston I found the following causes for cancellation today (30/12/22)
1 train fault.
5 "issue with train crew"
1 Due to over running engineering works (showed as due to late arrival of inbound service)
2 Severe flooding.
4 Late running.
1 Signalling failure.
1 Unknown.
2 Temporary speed restriction due to temperature of the track.
Total cancellations: 17
Please note that I have not included the duplicate delay reason as the trains did run to the same destination at the same time and via the same places but was duplicate on the system, these were all Avanti voyager services.
So here is the second main question:
WHAT ARE THE RAILWAYS GOING TO DO TO SOLVE THIS ALL TO COMMON ISSUE?
A reply would be greatly appreciated as maybe NR already have a master plan and it has just gone by without me noticing, if not I would like to know your thoughts on the matter.
Kind regards, Will.
Explanation of acronyms:
URL = Uniform resource locator.
TOC = Train operating company.
RTT = Real time trains (website/ app)
NR = National rail
Thanks and credit for resources and information:
Users: @al78
Websites: Guardian, Yahoo