With respect, you will do better to focus on the legitimate ground for appeal.
#1 "Genuine mistake" is not one, true though it may be.
I have edited the Background to focus on the relevant facts.
Apologies for the formatting.
#1 "Genuine mistake" is not one, true though it may be.
I have edited the Background to focus on the relevant facts.
Apologies for the formatting.
Background
- I was travelling on the 13.46 West Midlands Railway service from London Euston to Crewe.
- I planned to change at Stafford and travel on to Liverpool Lime Street on another train, for which I had a valid ticket..
- The PFN was issued at approximately 14:20, when the train (which was running slightly late) was approaching Milton Keynes Central, the next scheduled stop.
Grounds of Appeal
1. PFN issued to an incorrect destination
- The PFN was issued to Liverpool Lime Street.
- However, the train on which the PFN was issued was a service from London Euston to Crewe, not Liverpool Lime Street.
- Regulation 5(5A) of the Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 2018 states that a penalty fare may only be issued:
- To a station at which the train is scheduled to stop, or
- To the next scheduled stopping station at the time the PFN is issued
- At the time the PFN was issued (14:20), the next scheduled stop was Milton Keynes Central.
- Under the regulations, the PFN should therefore have been issued only to Crewe, Milton Keynes Central, or an intermediate station, not Liverpool Lime Street.
- Therefore the PFN is not compliant with the regulations, and cannot be enforced.
In the light of the above, I respectfully request that my appeal against the penalty fare be upheld, as the PFN was issued incorrectly and in breach of the Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 2018.