• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurovision 2023 and the railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRat

On Moderation
Joined
26 May 2021
Messages
2,128
Location
Liverpool
As soon as the result was announced, hotel bookings went through the roof, customers who have made long standing bookings have had their rooms cancelled for suprioys reasons such as "card problems", "booking issues" or "terms and conditions"etc all of which is blatant lies, their rooms got relisted at 4x the original price, this tarnishes Liverpool hotel reputation with lots of angry people being put out, transport infrastructure can cope as long as it's not sustained, if too many use the train all at the same time we will have issues.


I'm lucky to live only 10 miles on a main line to Liverpool I would still expect some impact on public transport.
Sounds like no one's really organized anything for the event, in which case why did we put our cities name down?

If I was in charge, I'd be looking to see what hotels are along the Merseyrail network, outside of Liverpool, and encouraging people to use those, with Merseyrail taking the brunt of transportation use. At least that's a network the people of Liverpool can take into their own hands, rather than relying on the dreadful TOCs.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTR 444

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2019
Messages
2,647
Location
Wimborne
Sounds like no one's really organized anything for the event, in which case why did we put our cities name down?

If I was in charge, I'd be looking to see what hotels are along the Merseyrail network, outside of Liverpool, and encouraging people to use those, with Merseyrail taking the brunt of transportation use. At least that's a network the people of Liverpool can take into their own hands, rather than relying on the dreadful TOCs.
I reckon many people will have the same idea and seek accommodation anywhere served by the last direct train from Liverpool. Expect Airbnb owners to do the same pesky profiteering trick in those locations before long
:o


I guess the only other option is to pull an all-nighter and get the first train back to wherever the next day
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
Sounds like no one's really organized anything for the event, in which case why did we put our cities name down?

If I was in charge, I'd be looking to see what hotels are along the Merseyrail network, outside of Liverpool, and encouraging people to use those, with Merseyrail taking the brunt of transportation use. At least that's a network the people of Liverpool can take into their own hands, rather than relying on the dreadful TOCs.
Hotels putting their prices up isn't to do with Merseyrail and is common when a big event is announced. Most people will have realised that they can go to a hotel further out of Liverpool and get on Merseyrail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top