• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Parliament debating free Interrail ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
You don't think anyone would come here?

They won't when the wall goes up ;)

I did a huge amount of travelling as a student. Thankfully, I'm of the generation with no name that had to borrow to pay for university life but didn't have to pay fees. I also had the pleasure of working for my third year on the continent in a job that gave me Fridays free. At the time I was trying to tick of western European capitals, did Paris, Berlin, Bern, Luxembourg, Brussels and Amsterdam during that time, interspersed with various trips around France.

It would have been awesome if I could have spent a month one summer rattling round on the trains. Yes, some alcohol may have been taken, but I'd probably have taken a full month's travelling, maybe with a tent or maybe hostelling.

You can't miss what you've never had, though.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
In Britain, it would be the same people who pay for free bus passes for the over-65s...

I concur, however a free bus pass for the over-65s has much more of a positive effect in improving social mobility.

And some 18-21 year olds do in fact enjoy a bit of culture, and not just getting bladdered at every opportunity...

However it's proposed that the free Inter Rail ticket is given to 18 year old's only. This is significant given that the general outlook of an 18 year old is quite different to someone who is aged 21.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How many teenagers do you know? I don't know anyone who has visited Greece in the past few years at all.

I suspect that my wife and I combined know as many if not more socially active teenagers than you do. And of those that had reached 18, those that could afford to were planning to head the Med and in the majority of cases more specifically Greece to have a good time with their friends.

The only destination away from the Med was Amsterdam in order to get stoned and in one or two cases to get laid.

As for looking beyond the bar and the beach, you don't know how much I wish those were things I didn't have to look beyond in life. Would be so much better than the real world. Having said that I've got drunk a lot more since Brexit so maybe you are onto something, it's a good way for us to all escape from the constant incredible madness forced onto us by utterly insane politicians and Brexit supporters!

Whilst like you I voted to Remain we nevertheless have to accept that the majority of voters wished to leave and we now as a nation have to just get on with it. Allegedly turning to alcohol won't solve anything, it never does.
 
Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
nevertheless have to accept that the majority of voters wished to leave and we now as a nation have to just get on with it.

I don't see why. We can continue to boycott British goods and services especially Brexit supporting businesses such as Wetherspoons and Dyson. We can campaign vigorously against hard Brexit and then at a later date vote for parties that want to rejoin the EU.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top