I was just looking at EMR services today, and spotted a very odd move from Etches Park to Nottingham for an early departure:
5B07 0414 Etches Park Sdgs to Nottingham
I was confused how it managed to make up most of what was at one point showing as a 53 minute delay, but once I opened up Google Maps and looked at the route I'm struggling to understand why it would be routed the way it was anyway? It reverses twice and goes a much longer route rather than the obvious via Spondon that later moves are pathed for. I suspect that's the way it actually went in the end, but what reason could there be for what seems to be a single move a day to be pathed this way?
A related question would be why on earth didn't they just put an east-bound link direct out of Etches Park so there was no need to go in to Derby and reverse?
I guess it would also be a factor in any electrification of this route that any such options would also need wiring.
5B07 0414 Etches Park Sdgs to Nottingham
I was confused how it managed to make up most of what was at one point showing as a 53 minute delay, but once I opened up Google Maps and looked at the route I'm struggling to understand why it would be routed the way it was anyway? It reverses twice and goes a much longer route rather than the obvious via Spondon that later moves are pathed for. I suspect that's the way it actually went in the end, but what reason could there be for what seems to be a single move a day to be pathed this way?
A related question would be why on earth didn't they just put an east-bound link direct out of Etches Park so there was no need to go in to Derby and reverse?
I guess it would also be a factor in any electrification of this route that any such options would also need wiring.