• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMT - Lincoln TVMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,393
Location
Messroom
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I discovered that the East Midlands Trains ticket machines at Lincoln had been over-charging me for off-peak journeys - though this is more down to a foolish mistake on my part (so this post is mostly to vent at myself, sorry!).

Basically, the situation is that the "Favourite Destinations" listed on the TVMs screen show the Anytime Single to Nottingham - priced at £6.10 with a 16-25 railcard. I've been buying this quite regularly, until yesterday when I chose to buy my ticket at the ticket office instead - the man sold me a ticket priced at £6.00 instead, the off-peak single. I normally travel off-peak, but I'd never thought about the off-peak single, and when purchasing at Nottingham ticket office I'd always been sold the Anytime fare so assumed it was the only thing available. While a difference of 10p doesn't sound like something to get upset about, I'm unfortunately the type who likes to save wherever possible!

It's just a shame that the TVM doesn't prompt that there is a cheaper fare available during off-peak times, I suppose that's wishful thinking though! :roll:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Is the above why TOCs rave over TVMs, as, if you don't clearly know how much your ticket costs, then there is always the chance that they could make more money (even if it's only a few pence) on a ticket sale, perhaps ditto online? Personally, I would always stick to the booking office, somehow I feel more comfortable with humans, and less likely to get caught out/get done for holding the wrong type of ticket.

That's the trouble with Lincoln though, it's passenger facilities are p*** poor, they closed down the Travel Centre and reduced the number of operational booking office windows during the refurbishment, didn’t they?
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,393
Location
Messroom
That's the trouble with Lincoln though, it's passenger facilities are p*** poor, they closed down the Travel Centre and reduced the number of operational booking office windows during the refurbishment, didn’t they?

Yes, the Travel Centre was closed and has now been removed in favour of an expanded cafe (which is awful, to be honest!). There have always been just two windows at the ticket office, though it seems more common to have both staffed now, instead of just the one as was the norm following the closure of the Travel Centre! Even with both windows open, the queues can be awful!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top