• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

electrify scottish and great western routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
This is starting to sound like what happened with the Machester-Liverpool line. The journey took less time in the Victorian days.

I'm fairly sure we've discussed this before and the all stops pacer takes longer than in Victorian era but the limited stops express is just as fast.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichW1

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2010
Messages
400
Location
Harrogate
My only disappointment by then will be the likely fact that the ECML was never really fully electrified and so 125mph even with ERTMS won't be beaten unless all operators adopted new trains that will be hauled off the electrified sections and I can't see that happening! Sad though, the ECML had it all to play for at one stage.

There's just simply no way you can run a higher speed service with destinations to Hull, Bradford, Aberdeen, Sunderland, Inverness, Lincoln all running off 125mph diesels unless someone tells me it's economically viable to to use new diesels at 137/140 mph but I doubt it.

Shame the railwayment aren't still in charge - despite the cuts in the 80's and 90's that was the golden era for the rail network post world war 2 - HST's were running overspeed at 135mph much more regularly than I thought apparently, as were 91's, London - Edinburgh timetabled at 4hours 3 mins for 91's and not far off for HST's and without limiters on like now and I remember in 1991 I went to York and it was a non-stop service on an HST and it achieved the 188.5 miles in 1hour41 mins!

Today is pathetic in comparison with the above even though the trains are the same!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry, to answer the question I agree with a couple of the above posts; I think it would be realistic to haul electrics over non-electrified sections as as someone pointed out, even with Aberdeen to Edinburgh electrified services southwest of York would still need a diesel for cross country under the wires in reality.

All this is against my better common sense view on the thread title however, which is that i think we should've electrified these lines years ago. ERTMS represents a step change and would be even more important in ECML's case as even with High Speed 2, the ECML will need to be the east coast load bearer for the next 2 decades in reality.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top